Decrease PH urgent

hammadkatiyar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank PH is high now ...it almost 8.7 to 9 PH....please advise how to reduce the PH........If i use vinegar...how much i use...i have 300 liter aquarium including sump............hair green algae is coming on the sand of tank....... i dont have corals.....i have fishes with live rocks

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change would be the best option IMO. How did the pH get that high? What are you dosing to the tank? How are you measuring pH?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acid would lowered ph. I have no idea what acid would be safe to put in the tank.

Are you using kalk by chance?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing your PH, be sure before you make changes that you testing is correct. You would have to do something pretty drastic to get your PH up to nine.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use soda water - 6ml per gallon will typically drop the pH by .2-.3. - just make sure its unflavored and not stabilized (no phosphoric acid).

If you alk is also high, it may take a little more. Add the soda water to an area of high flow and go slow.

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? What type of test did you use? Do your fish look stressed? Are the fish eating and swimming around, acting normal? If the test is the only thing that seems wrong I wouldn't do anything drastic. Treating a problem that might not be there will almost guarantee a problem will happen. If it's a relatively new tank hair algae will happen. I just set up a new (for me) tank that I got used and still have diatoms and all the normal new tank things occuring in the tank. Coral are happy. Fish are happy. The test strips for pH always show it neon pink for me but I don't worry myself since everything appears happy as is. If things looked stressed and it wasn't hot pink in my case that'd be a reason to be concerned. Take a breath and relax. Good luck.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO do nothing.

High pH is a sign of low carbon dioxide which should help the fish.

and be sure to check pH just before lights out.

And alk also.

my .02

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test the CO2? Is it calibrated? Make sure you are getting accurate readings before doing anything.
Are you using a skimmer? Aeration is a good way to balance the CO2 in your system. If not I would suggest to put one on your wish list. Otherwise, you could resort to the soda water(check the label, it should say water and carbon dioxide are the only ingredients) about 5mL per gallon of tank water, and test, or plain white vinegar, about 1mL per gallon and test.
Make sure you're testing the pH at the same time of day, since it will have slight changes throughout the day.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back