OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright this is going to be my last update until the tank is cycled,
as of now the tank has just Marine Pure ceramic balls in the filter system i didnt want to chance anything happening to the bacteria i added with the filter floss or the chemi-pure ( im going to be adding the chemi-pure and purigen possibly tuesday if most of my tests look good)
ive seen a bunch of people cycle their tanks at 7 days with the Dr Tims and the fish less cycle ammonia
I'm hoping i can also accomplish this in a week one of my LFS has a sweet pair of Mocha-Storm clowns that i really want.

also i wanted to say thanks to everyone that is following along and giving me advice its truly appreciated

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely tough trying to scape in this tank, but if I were you I’d consider not having it go as high as you have it. Any of the corals you place on the top will only have a couple of inches before the touch the top of the water line. No much room for growth up there.

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely tough trying to scape in this tank, but if I were you I’d consider not having it go as high as you have it. Any of the corals you place on the top will only have a couple of inches before the touch the top of the water line. No much room for growth up there.

yea I hear ya, but I think im going to leave it as is for now until I start stocking it.
I like taller scapes especially because I can stack it against the back wall

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I guess I lied about the updates I might as well since im here haha

day 2 of cycle Dr Tims recommend keeping 2pp ammonia until the nitrites kick in
and then keep dosing to 2pp for 5-7 days
unfortunately I tested last night expecting to see some kind of nitrites signaling the beginning of my cycle and it read 0
if I don't get a reading by tomorrow I am just going to run to my LFS and get another bottle of the one and only, possibly it reached to high of temps during the shipping process, my delivery guy also left the packed on the stairs in the sun and not on my porch next to the door, fingers crossed for now.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I guess I lied about the updates I might as well since im here haha

day 2 of cycle Dr Tims recommend keeping 2pp ammonia until the nitrites kick in
and then keep dosing to 2pp for 5-7 days
unfortunately I tested last night expecting to see some kind of nitrites signaling the beginning of my cycle and it read 0
if I don't get a reading by tomorrow I am just going to run to my LFS and get another bottle of the one and only, possibly it reached to high of temps during the shipping process, my delivery guy also left the packed on the stairs in the sun and not on my porch next to the door, fingers crossed for now.

Is it really supposed to be done cycling in a week? I’ve never used Dr. Tim’s but I plan to. You said you know some people that had a fast cycle. I’ve been reading about it still taking 4-6 weeks even with it. Have you used it before?

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really supposed to be done cycling in a week? I’ve never used Dr. Tim’s but I plan to. You said you know some people that had a fast cycle. I’ve been reading about it still taking 4-6 weeks even with it. Have you used it before?

nope I haven't done it yet and this is the first time using this product and yes the website says 4-6 weeks, but from what I have seen on videos and some threads people have gotten a cycle in about a week or so im hoping with the lack of filter media (carbon and purigen and filter floss or socks) im giving the bacteria a good start

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my cycle is off to a good start add some ammonia to the tank tonight to get it back up

20190916_161102.jpg

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone just a quick update I'm a little bit shocked at my levels right now ph is a little low but everything else is spot on even nitrates
I figured I'd check my levels and do a water change and check again after but I guess I dont need one.
The tank is riddled with brown algae(any suggestions would be great, to rid the tank of it)

As of now I have a black ice clown and a mocha/gladiator.
Random zoas
2 heads of Duncans.
1 small Kenya tree
And I managed to score a huge 30+head colony of green and purple hammers for 100 bucks

I'm trying to get in contact with a local guy selling black widow nems dirt cheap haven't been successful yet.

In a few weeks I'm going to order a pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby

20190930_202353.jpg 20190930_203108.jpg

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, you’re about to go through the “ugly stage” with the brown algae. It’s ok, get some turbo snails and keep an eye on your phosphates.

Your PH is fine, it also might be low due to what time of the day you checked. Mine peaks at about 9:30 PM.

CB9F546C-98D2-4DF9-A84C-3EC1411BA881.png

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Stand turned out awesome. Great craftsmanship. I just recently grabbed a 25 and can’t wait to join the nuvo club again.

thank you! it took me about 2 weeks to build, working on it here and there but i was pretty dissapointed when i painted it black i really wish i stained it.
and i really love the IM tanks, they are great for beginers and experienced reefers.

Juggernoht

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get back into it myself (still a bit out) but you did a great job with the stand.

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, you’re about to go through the “ugly stage” with the brown algae. It’s ok, get some turbo snails and keep an eye on your phosphates.

Your PH is fine, it also might be low due to what time of the day you checked. Mine peaks at about 9:30 PM.

CB9F546C-98D2-4DF9-A84C-3EC1411BA881.png
yea i was hoping i was going to be one of the lucky few that skipped the ugly phase, hah, but i went out and got some smaller snails(astrea snails) but they are not getting the job done. i may hit up the LFS after work today,
but thank you for the PH information i did not know that; im going to start checking it a few times a day to get a more accurate reading.

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stock list
Fish
Black ice clown
Mocha gladiator
A tiny Tomini tang
( yes I know she will get a better home when she gets bigger for all you tang police)

Coral
20 heads of green and purple hammers
3 heads of gold cristata torch
1 head purple torch
Green toadstool
Neon green nephthea
2 heads duncans
Rainbow anemone
Red monte cap
Kenya tree
Random zoas

Everything has been perfect.
I'm falling short on some equipment such as my protein skimmer and return pump I still have the original and it's awful and loud.
The guy sending me the equipment time line got messed up. I've been looking for other used with no luck.

20191005_165746.jpg

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little rock scaping and reorganizing of my coral
On the left is going to be my hammer rock and on the right my zoa garden
Picked up a nice frag plug of bam bams
Dragons Breath micro-algae

Last night at my LFS I found a yasha goby which is rare find in my state for some reason
Picking it up today along with a pistol shrimp
I might through them in a breeder box together to get them acquainted lol

Any and all feed back would be greatly appreciated

20191012_131231.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back