deepwater fish quarantine (sensitive fish?)

DeepWat3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm starting up a quarantine system for my new tank build in a few months and the main focus of the new build will be showcasing deepwater fish found in the Philippines. I would like to gather some opinions on which methods of quarantine that would be best for me to use to quarantine the following fish

Angelfish
  1. Genicanthus Semifasciatus
  2. Genicanthus Watanabei

Anthias
  1. Sailfin ( Rabaulicthys Suzuki)
  2. Ventralis
  3. One Stripe
  4. Sunburst
  5. Flavoguttatus
Basslets
  1. Japanese Basslet (Liopropoma Susumi)

Butterflyfish

1. Chaetedon Burgessi
Wrasses
  1. Cirrhilabrus Rosefascia
  2. Cirrhilabrus Isoceles
  3. Cirrhilabrus Brunneus
  4. Cirrhilabrus cf Lunatus
  5. Cirrhilabrus Katoi
  6. Cirrhilabrus Pylei

This whole build will be revolving around the fish so I am willing to dedicate the time and effort to properly quarantine the fishes. An important thing to consider as well is that I live in the Philippines and that I would be getting these fish straight from the wholesalers the moment any of them become available. I've read up on the various forms of quarantine that can be applied however I do not have access to certain medications like chelated copper, formalin, and chloroquine phospate. The most wideley available medicines available here are API and SeaChem products.

Thank you and have a good day!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

One thing you should consider - if your focus is on the fish, then avoid putting invertebrates in the tank at all. Adding a few corals immediately hampers your ability to deal with disease issues in the main tank. I manage 150,000 gallons of water at a public aquarium and have NO invertebrates in my main fish system. Too many time I hear from people who cannot initiate a treatment for their expensive fish because they have a couple of corals in the same tank!

The most important thing for these fish is to set up a quarantine tank with a solid filtration system, well in advance of you starting to get fish. Another common thing I see is people rushing to set up a quarantine tank, adding fish, and then losing fish to ammonia and other issues.

My basic quarantine is:

30 days of Coppersafe, 3 prazipro treatments a week apart, followed by 2 weeks of observation. I then do a freshwater diagnostic dip to look for Neobenedenia flukes. If those are seen, the group of fish gets 35 days of hyposalinity.

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back