Deflated cynarina

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few days, I noticed my cynarina looking a little flat. It was extended as normal but like a pancake and not fluffy looking. Today, it not only looks flat but is also not extending. Something is making it really uncomfortable. I’ve had it for 6 months or better. Parameters (since I know you’ll ask ;)):

pH 8.0
Ca 420
Mg 1170 (needs to come up a tad)
Dkh 9.7
Nitrates 8
Phosphate 0.03

Help please. This guy is an amazing highlighter yellow and pink. I couldn’t stand to lose it!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have found the problem but need help.... I just caught my Rabbitfish pecking at the cynarina. He did it twice. Has anyone ever had a Rabbitfish develop a liking for LPS?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have found the problem but need help.... I just caught my Rabbitfish pecking at the cynarina. He did it twice. Has anyone ever had a Rabbitfish develop a liking for LPS?

When I first got my Foxface Rabbitfish, he cleared out all of my zoas and palys within a few weeks. Since then, he hasn't touched any other corals. I have frogspawns, torches, Duncan's, and candy cane coral that he shows no interest in. So it's definitely possible that he's bothering your cyanarina.

But I just want to mention also that my Duncan coral is my "canary in the coal mine" for magnesium levels. When my mag drops to 1200, the Duncan stays closed until I raise the mag to at least 1320. I have no scientific basis for why, but it happens every time my mag drops. The SPS are never bothered by lower mag, just the Duncan.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back