Delaminating Lobo

flying4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5823.jpg

Anyone ever see the flesh just peel right off their corals? This is a lobo I bought about 3 weeks ago. You can see the flesh just peeling off in the front (bottom of colony). My alkalinity is 10.9, phosphate .04, nitrate 10, calcium 420. I've seen this before with a wellso, and ancantho and a favia. I bought all of them at the same place on different occasions. From a shop in LA that brings in large volumes of wild or maricultured corals, which are sold off quickly (and very attractive pricing). I've lost corals before, but they have basically disintegrated/rotted...these are peeling off. I'm wondering if it something that commonly happens to wild corals that have a tough time acclimating to captivity? A cheap coral is not worth it if it's likely going to die! But I'm hoping there is something else going on that I can fix. Although from past experience I know this one is not going to live and I'll probably just toss it now so that if it is some sort of pathogen there is less chance of spreading to other corals.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5823.jpg

Anyone ever see the flesh just peel right off their corals? This is a lobo I bought about 3 weeks ago. You can see the flesh just peeling off in the front (bottom of colony). My alkalinity is 10.9, phosphate .04, nitrate 10, calcium 420. I've seen this before with a wellso, and ancantho and a favia. I bought all of them at the same place on different occasions. From a shop in LA that brings in large volumes of wild or maricultured corals, which are sold off quickly (and very attractive pricing). I've lost corals before, but they have basically disintegrated/rotted...these are peeling off. I'm wondering if it something that commonly happens to wild corals that have a tough time acclimating to captivity? A cheap coral is not worth it if it's likely going to die! But I'm hoping there is something else going on that I can fix. Although from past experience I know this one is not going to live and I'll probably just toss it now so that if it is some sort of pathogen there is less chance of spreading to other corals.
You can try the kfc dip. For them. It seems to show some success with lps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back