Delay dipping new corals??

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I unexpectedly recieved a few new corals this morning and don't have time to dip right now. Should I let them sit in bags in sump until I get back home in about 3 hours or just add them to display now and then dip later this afternoon?

Are there any real risks to adding them to the display now that would outweigh risks of them continuing to sit in their shipping bags in the sump?

Usually, I would research something like this but I'm waaaaaaay short on time so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Corals are from well known vendor and look in good condition after shipping...

TIA!!

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I unexpectedly recieved a few new corals this morning and don't have time to dip right now. Should I let them sit in bags in sump until I get back home in about 3 hours or just add them to display now and then dip later this afternoon?

Are there any real risks to adding them to the display now that would outweigh risks of them continuing to sit in their shipping bags in the sump?

Usually, I would research something like this but I'm waaaaaaay short on time so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Corals are from well known vendor and look in good condition after shipping...

TIA!!
You should be able to leave them in bags and they should be fine.

@fishguy242 has done this on accident a few times and can put in some input on his experiences.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, corals looking good, yes no prob floating,
coral in a temperate bag 24-30 hrs is normal in shipping.
yes dip for pests, better safe than sorry.
fish, never!! start acclimation immediately... :)

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's of any help but I picked up mushrooms in a foam cooler from a local reefer, got home and got emergency phone call. left the mushrooms in the cooler overnight in my car (temps in the 40's overnight) and they are still alive and thriving over a year later in my tank. I know other corals are more sensitive but there is hope.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good thread. Can I ask if the bag should be opened for gas exchange or should it be left closed? I haven't had to leave corals in the bag before but better to be armed with the knowledge ahead of time.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good thread. Can I ask if the bag should be opened for gas exchange or should it be left closed? I haven't had to leave corals in the bag before but better to be armed with the knowledge ahead of time.
Closed bag to avoid a huge PH swing and a possible ammonia spike. While not as bad for corals as it is for fish, still not a good this.

Also, with a vented bag, it could tip over and baddies could make it into the tank.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed bag to avoid a huge PH swing and a possible ammonia spike. While not as bad for corals as it is for fish, still not a good this.

Also, with a vented bag, it could tip over and baddies could make it into the tank.
Thank you!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once left a monti on my kitchen counter overnight... it had some dead edges but mostly alive. ha!

These corals survived overnight shipping being tossed around in a box without stable temps. They will be fine and cozy floating in a temp controlled sump for awhile.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are quite resilient especially when they go into shutdown mode when they are being moved. They will be fine. Definitely wait and dip.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input!! I did end up floating them in the sump for about 3 hours then came home between meetings and dipped them. They are on a rack and polyps were already extended on the sticks before the lights went out about an hour ago. So far so good...hoping they look good in AM!!

Thanks all!! Happy Reefing!!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have you adjusted lighting to acclimate ??
rack in lower light?

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you adjusted lighting to acclimate ??
rack in lower light?
I have. Rack is a few inches above sand and radions are on 50% schedule running AB+ spectrum and producing around 185 par where they are. I haven't used the acclimation mode in mobius as I typically just adjust the overall schedule intensity up to the normal value of around 65-70% - maybe acclimation mode is easier and I might should research it to use it, just haven't yet

These new corals have arrived right behind a few I recieved (and expected ;) ) last Friday...so, overall tank is still in "acclimation mode"

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap...my luck...dang skimmer decided to go crazy overnight and literally overflowed to the point the collection cup was full of CLEAR water - and it had been almost half full of fish turds.....dang it!!!!!

I'm making 40g of saltwater now (system is WB Reef 100.3)....

Also got the Triton labs ICP results and about to review them while water is mixing.

Corals look OK, lights are out still, but they have their polyps out and no signs this far of stress.

Anything more I should do other large water change for skimmate dumpage??

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nope, salinity will be in check w water change,skimmer will pull it back out,
by chance did you dip corals in dip, and not dip rinse in bowl of tank water before adding ?
if so, rinse and run some carbon.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope, salinity will be in check w water change,skimmer will pull it back out,
by chance did you dip corals in dip, and not dip rinse in bowl of tank water before adding ?
if so, rinse and run some carbon.
lol, no, i actually triple rinse every coral after dipping - 3 containers full of tank water after dipping container. my dipping process includes 5 containers - 1 to recieve, 1 with dip and then the 3 with tank water for rinsing. that shouldnt have been the issue. the only thing i can think of is two things: 1)i forgot to plug auto-roller on my Klir filter back in so the "filter sock" compartment was choked a bit and 2) i forgot to remove the scotch tape from the sump wall where i had the coral bags secured while i was away at meetings - maybe the sticky side of the tape caused it to go crazy as it did get wet bc of the sock compartment water level rising throughout the night...those are literally the only two things done differently than any other night.

Already running activated carbon and i just changed it out earlier this week so it should be really fresh and able to capture most bads that may have been released into water column...

thanks for your input - greatly appreciated!!

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:
Everything looking good. I'll be shocked if I actually make it outta this with no losses, but everyone is accounted for so far and the corals look great.
20220128_182630.jpg
20220128_182520.jpg
20220128_182539.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back