• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Delivery Delays

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone just a word of caution on delivery delays. With black Friday and then holidays coming both FedEx and UPS are severely backed up on shipping and you can expect deliveries to be late. Recommend exercising caution and know the shipping policy from who you purchase. Many individuals don't cover shipping delays and it should be discussed ahead of time. I've had my FedEx orders today six hours late, and UPS running twelve hours late. Its fine as long as they come, but things can easily get messed up.

COVID has put a strain on shipping. Record online sales and shipping delays will probably continue through the holidays and shortly after with returns.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone just a word of caution on delivery delays. With black Friday and then holidays coming both FedEx and UPS are severely backed up on shipping and you can expect deliveries to be late. Recommend exercising caution and know the shipping policy from who you purchase. Many individuals don't cover shipping delays and it should be discussed ahead of time. I've had my FedEx orders today six hours late, and UPS running twelve hours late. Its fine as long as they come, but things can easily get messed up.

COVID has put a strain on shipping. Record online sales and shipping delays will probably continue through the holidays and shortly after with returns.
Yep I had a package that I sent delayed today. No more shipping until after the holidays for me...

Hunt3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my package from amazon came from a budget truck delivered by amazon rep.

OP
OP
FishDaddy

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd hate to have a box of high end acros in the back of a non-heated U-haul or box truck.

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some high end corals from a seller on the forum ( amazeballs goni ) and other corals and fed ex made a mess of it . The package luckily showed up at my sisters house at 9:30 at night I had to drive almost 3 hrs back and forth to pick it up , got corals in my tank by 1 am. . I will say that the seller ( screen name Butuz ) was great , really helped me out and can't recommend this guy enough, plus his corals are amazing . Well end of rant , just becarful this time of year shipping corals , I know some sellers wait till after christmas to start shipping again.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dont order livestock until after the New Year of at all possible. If you do, understand the risk.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only is the increase in holiday online shopping swamping UPS and FedEx, but shipments of COVID-19 vaccines are only going to exacerbate the issue. My guess is the the vaccine shipments will have higher priority than any livestock shipments.

I don't plan to ship or receive anything alive until the 2nd week in January or later.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a package 3hrs late on tues, it's only going to get worse. Between cold temps, wuflu, and holidays we're looking at extended delays and DOAs. I'm waiting until mid jan.

DropoffCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only had 2 delays this week out of 32 shipments and those arrive alive as well. If the online provider knows how to pack, it can handle 48 hours in the bag.

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Did 28 boxes and only 1 delayed by a day, and 2 that were after the 10:30/Noon cutoff. Nothing worse than usual from what I noticed. I ordered 4 boxes of corals myself from people on r2r, everything arrived, just slightly delayed past the time it was supposed to be delivered. Understandable though...

Sidenote... Why is this under the selling selling live goods section?

OP
OP
FishDaddy

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah reputable sellers with a policy to include shipping delay responsibilities are okay. But some shippers state the buyer is responsible for any shipping delays. Some corals amd fish may do okay being shipped 48 hours. Many others will not be.

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah reputable sellers with a policy to include shipping delay responsibilities are okay. But some shippers state the buyer is responsible for any shipping delays. Some corals amd fish may do okay being shipped 48 hours. Many others will not be.
If you buy from anyone who doesnt take responsibility for a delay then your dealing with a crappy seller and should rethink your purchase imho. The responsibility doesnt fall on the buyer until the package is at their door.

OP
OP
FishDaddy

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read all the caveats when you buy from individuals. The standard is a 2 hour doa and no responsibility for shipping delays. Most will do case by case. Just saying know the policy before you place your order.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked mine up yesterday at the local(UPS) hub 1 hour before I would have normally gotten it. The guy at the counter said drivers have been told to drive normal route once, IE don't drive route for stuff that should be there by 10:30 then drive it again for all the other stuff. In that case my coral would have gotten to me around 7 PM. The problem right now isn't shipping package it's delivering it.

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Read all the caveats when you buy from individuals. The standard is a 2 hour doa and no responsibility for shipping delays. Most will do case by case. Just saying know the policy before you place your order.
Anyone who has that policy you just shouldn't buy from in my honest opinion. If the seller doesn't want to be responsible for shipping delays then they just shouldn't ship to begin with at all.

That being said i've had a few buyers try some scumbag things. One guy, who sadly sells on here, won't mention any names, kept saying zoas weren't on the plug. After sending him replacements on BOTH the ones he said that were missing (even though I knew there was no way it's possible), he did it again on a third order. Once I called him out I never heard from him again. Kind of amazing the way people can be these days. It goes both ways.

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I picked mine up yesterday at the local(UPS) hub 1 hour before I would have normally gotten it. The guy at the counter said drivers have been told to drive normal route once, IE don't drive route for stuff that should be there by 10:30 then drive it again for all the other stuff. In that case my coral would have gotten to me around 7 PM. The problem right now isn't shipping package it's delivering it.
UPS and FEDEX are different. FedEx Express is overnight and strictly for Express packages. FedEx Ground is a different company as well. Drivers are also contracted with FedEx. They are NOT the same.

UPS is one big cesspool. So if you have an overnight package, it still goes on the same UPS brown truck the ground stuff does. They just are told to deliver the overnight stuff usually, so UPS can go ahead and reschedule you how they feel fit.

FedEx on the other hand, you will notice the PURPLE/ORANGE and PURPLE/GREEN trucks, denoting Ground and Express shipments. FedEx would be a more reliable bet if you want to do overnight shipping, but the best way would be to have the package held at your local facility for pick-up to begin with if you don't feel safe.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back