Deltec SC 1351

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Deltec SC 1351 because of the reviews and the fact that even Deltec advertise it as being whisper quiet ,now to my question.

Anyone else who owns one does the pump on your 1351 make a high pitch whine? It doesn't matter on what speed I put mine it makes a horrible whine the faster the speed the higher and louder the whining gets.

I have had the pump apart to see if any thing was stuck in there but it's clean as it's only been running 4 days but the whining noise is getting on my nerves and seems to be getting louder day by day. My tank was dead silent until I added the Deltec SC 1351 now it's doing my head in☹️.

Thanks

Paul

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular model has been known for being a little noisy, is supposed to get a little better overtime, I'm attaching bellow a quote from another R2R member made to someone else that seem to be in a similar situation, I hope it helps.

There is an adjustment that allows you to control the water level in the neck of the protein skimmer. You need to back off on your water level.

Looking at your pictures, there is a small white tube which runs from the neck of the skimmer down to its base. That cylindrical object at the neck to which the white tube connects is probably the adjustment. Try rotating it clockwise/counter-clockwise and watch the water level. You want to reduce the water level to about the neck... this is where the collection cup meets the body of the skimmer.

By doing this, as foam accumulates on top, it will build up and overflow into the collection cup.

If this problem is a new development, then it may be a change in the water level of the sump.

Did you recently do a water change, adding more water back into the tank than you've taken out?

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the noise is related to the skimmer height inside the sump in relation to the water level inside it, I used to have Deltec everything and they all seem to do that.

The few reviews found online about your specific model all talk about the noise, but Deltec equipment need to break in for a couple weeks.

Maybe someone else here has experience with that particular model.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the SCA 1351 which is the AC version that uses an Aquabee pump and it is pretty close to dead silent.

That high pitched whine seems to be an issue with some DC pumps. Since you mentioned that the more you increase your pump speed, the louder it gets, can you decrease the speed of the pump and use the adjustment knob atop the clear water level cylinder to raise the water level within the skimmer? Also,at what water level do you have the skimmer sitting in?

OP
OP
S

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the SCA 1351 which is the AC version that uses an Aquabee pump and it is pretty close to dead silent.

That high pitched whine seems to be an issue with some DC pumps. Since you mentioned that the more you increase your pump speed, the louder it gets, can you decrease the speed of the pump and use the adjustment knob to raise the water level within the skimmer? Also,at what water level do you have the skimmer sitting in?
Got the pump on 1 (the lowest) for speed because of the noise and it's in 20cm of water I have raised it so it's sat in 15cm but still the same haven't tried it sat in 25cm but can't see that it would make any difference.

I also run a DC return pump make by Jebao/Jacod and run it on full power and it IS dead silent, before I added the skimmer the tank was silent you could hear nothing from the tank at all it was sooooooo nice.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have it running at the lowest setting, I agree, changing the water level in which the skimmer sits wouldn’t really do anything. :(

Did you purchase the skimmer new or used?

OP
OP
S

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have it running at the lowest setting, I agree, changing the water level in which the skimmer sits wouldn’t really do anything. :(

Did you purchase the skimmer new or used?
It's new.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s the case, then I would see if the retailer you bought it from could swap out the DC pump for the DCS400 AC pump... provided that it’s a direct fit. At minimum, see if you can get a warranty replacement for the DC pump.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SC1351 is still sold new? I thought it had been superseded by new models.

I have a 600i with a DC pump, no pump noise at all.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SC1351 is still sold new? I thought it had been superseded by new models.

I have a 600i with a DC pump, no pump noise at all.

OP is from the UK. I’m sure a bunch of European dealers have the prior generation models still in stock. We just have Adam at Battlecorals as the sole distributor now for US stock. MD tried for a short time, but it looks like they’re no longer carrying Deltec. I’m happy it’s back with Adam as he’s been immensely helpful.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back