Deltec Skimmers

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for feedback on Deltec. I want to replace my Aquamax FC80 AC skimmer with a DC skimmer.

I’m considering the Deltec 400i. It’s a little more than $100 over the cost of the Aquamaxx DC version of the FC80. It also looks to be far better quality and I like the overflow protection , even though I will run a optical sensor back to my Apex for that, redundancy is always a good thing.

So I’m hopeful that the group here can give me some feedback, good and bad on Deltec skimmers in general. If anyone has direct experience with the 400i your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have a 30 gallon tank, it is super easy to over skim that tank, and getting a Deltec skimmer other than a MCE 300 skimmer you are oversizing your skimmer, thereby wasting your money.

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 400i is rated for 30-105 gallon systems. You should be fine. I'm currently waiting on a 600i to replace my FC80 in a 60 gallon tank.

I haven't had a chance to play with one of these new Deltec's, but have had older models in the past and was never disappointed.

garybigley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for feedback on Deltec. I want to replace my Aquamax FC80 AC skimmer with a DC skimmer.

I’m considering the Deltec 400i. It’s a little more than $100 over the cost of the Aquamaxx DC version of the FC80. It also looks to be far better quality and I like the overflow protection , even though I will run a optical sensor back to my Apex for that, redundancy is always a good thing.

So I’m hopeful that the group here can give me some feedback, good and bad on Deltec skimmers in general. If anyone has direct experience with the 400i your opinion is greatly appreciated.
I had the Deltec 1000IX and the pump was failing within a year. Ordered an OEM replacement that didn't fit and ended up ruining the replacement. I tried it looking for a supper slim device, didn't work out. I'm now on a Bubble Magus Z8 that is around half the cost, and maybe a little nicer design. It is certainly skimming as well as the Deltech after just 2 days of getting dialed in. Deltec support was great selling me the replacement pump, but went dark when it didn't fit. If you need a supper slim skimmer try the Z8.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you tell me how long the warranty is on Deltec skimmers?
One year.
Be sure to get a smaller skimmer. I had the 600i and it only wanted to skim wet on my 100g. I sold it then picked up a 400i that works perfectly. Match your bio load and skimmer carefully with this brand.

Seanano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year.
Be sure to get a smaller skimmer. I had the 600i and it only wanted to skim wet on my 100g. I sold it then picked up a 400i that works perfectly. Match your bio load and skimmer carefully with this brand.
What's your bio-load? How often do you feed? The 400i is rated for 25-30gallons heavy stocking. Any other filtration?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a huge fan of Deltec skimmers, especially back when Adam at Battlecorals was the exclusive reseller. His service was top notch. I cannot comment on the service of Deltec USA as I’ve never used them.

What I will say is that I much prefer the AC versions of the skimmers. No controllers to fail or fuss with. Not sure how it is now, but when I got my prior generation Deltec 1351ix, currently the 600ix, it came with a German Aquabee 400 pump. Mine is near silent and very efficient, drawing only 11 watts. I run it on my 57 gallon tank and I can dial it in very precisely to skim wet or dry.

I just don’t trust the rebranded cheap Chinese DC pumps that many skimmer manufacturers seem to be using today. I much prefer the simplicity and reliability of an AC pump to run my skimmer.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your bio-load? How often do you feed? The 400i is rated for 25-30gallons heavy stocking. Any other filtration?
The 400i is rated for 30-105 gallons. My tanks 100g and it's not heavy stocked as my fish are 6" are less. I feed 4 to 5 times a day to keep my Anthias nice and fat. My n03 10 and p04 .05. No other filtration influencers. I tell you the 600i gave me nothing but wet skimate and I had to downsize.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back