Dendronepthya

Euphyllia97

FOWLR and reef member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
1,057
Reaction score
1,535
Location
Belgium
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

What are you guys feeding to keep a dendronepthya successfully in the long term? How often?



IMG_3364.png

IMG_3365.jpeg
 
I stopped keeping them in the early 2000 because of their nutritional requirements. You really need a system devoted to NPS.


Stunning coral, I wish they were easier to keep.

A couple hobbyist have hooked up a refrigerated dosing system to provide that fine particulate matter.

Good luck🪸
 
I stopped keeping them in the early 2000 because of their nutritional requirements. You really need a system devoted to NPS.


Stunning coral, I wish they were easier to keep.

A couple hobbyist have hooked up a refrigerated dosing system to provide that fine particulate matter.

Good luck🪸
Yeah, success rates aren’t that great from what I have heard. It’s my first time keeping an nps if you don’t count a tubastreae sun coral. Want to check the box, but not expecting too much of it 😬
 
Nobody that I am aware of has kept that species for more than 1.5-2 years or so, despite many trying with tanks built from the ground up to house them (low light, strong, alternating, laminar flow, appropriate food density, etc).

I have three that are being kept in a tank that is part of a large NPS system which I aquired about 21 months ago. They've slowly shrunk to less than 1/4 of their initial size during that time despite a lot of effort put into it.

They are fed a mixture of foods including Thalassiosira, Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis, Rhodomonas, live s-type rotifers, Reef Nutrition concentrated foods, and more on an autofeeder approximately 16 hours per day to maintain a cell density of ~5000 cells per ^cm3. This means the water is slightly cloudy during this entire timeframe. Temp is 72F and light is very low (I'd guess maybe 30PAR at best). Flow is ~15cm/s.

They're also in a tank with an enormous biomass of various sponges which I assume are shunting a lot of beneficial microbial carbon back into the water as a food source. I'm not sure where else to go from there, but would love to hear from anybody who has had more success with this species!
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new