dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*All hardware updated as of 12/24/2017

Hardware

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250 in black
Sump: Synergy Reef CL-22 Sump in Atomic Green w/ matching 5 gallon ATO container (Thanks, @mixer911!)
Lights: AI Hydra 26HD and AI Hydra 52HD
Tank Cover: ClearView lid by Artfully Acrylic
Pump: Reef Octopus Varios 6
Heat: Eheim Jager TruTemp 125w
Flow: 2 x Ecotech MP40WQD
ATO: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152
Skimmer: Deltec SCA 1351 (Adam @ Battlecorals just ROCKS)
Doser: GHL 2.1 4 pump in white (not installed)
Dosing container: 4 section custom by Blue Tide Acrylics
Controller: Neptune Apex Classic
Safety: Apex ALD, Ecotech battery backup
Algae Reactor: Aquamaxx with LED grow lights from Amazon

Filtration
BRS Pukani dry rock - 35 lbs
Caribsea Arag-Alive in Fiji Pink - 20 lbs
Filter socks - 200 micron x 2
BRS Rox carbon
Instant Ocean Bio-Spira to start the whole thing off
*Phosphat-e dosed in ATO water from Brightwell to manage phosphate

Salt
HW-Marinemix Reefer mixed to 1.25

Livestock as of 12/24/2017
Sustainable Aquatics Frostbite clowns - bonded pair
Bar gobies (pair) Thelma and Louise
Flasher wrasse
Yellow watchman goby
Pistol shrimp Snaps
Bartlett's anthias Josiah
Solar fairy wrasse
Midas blenny
CUC

8FDED150-20CD-4239-9DB7-4A7ABFE280F7_zps1cgmckgg.jpg

Last edited:

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shout out to my husband who signed off on a new/larger tank! <3

Hardware
Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250 in black (on order)
Sump: Synergy Reef CL-22 Sump in Atomic Green w/ matching 5 gallon ATO container
Lights: Nanobox Quad Plus (black on black) w/ goosenecks Thanks, @DaveFason! (on order)
Tank Cover: ClearView lid by Artfully Acrylic (on order)
Pump: Reef Octopus Varios 6
Heat:
Flow: Ecotech MP40WQD (on order)
Media Reactor:
ATO: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152
Skimmer: Deltec SCA 1351 (Adam @ Battlecorals was fantastic!)
Doser:
Dosing container: 4 section custom by Blue Tide Acrylics (on order)
Controller: Neptune Apex Classic
Safety: Apex ALD, Ecotech battery backup, Varios float switch for return pump

Filtration
BRS Pukani dry rock - 35 lbs
Caribsea Arag-Alive in Fiji Pink - 20 lbs
Filter socks - 200 micron x 2
BRS Rox carbon and GFO
Instant Ocean Bio-Spira to start the whole thing off

Salt
HW-Marinemix Reefer mixed to 1.24-25

Livestock - will transfer from current tank
Six line wrasse
Sustainable Aquatics Frostbite clowns - bonded pair
CUC

QUESTIONS: 1. Recommendations for 4 channel doser would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm struggling between just closing my eyes/sucking it up and getting the GHL 2.1 or something more reasonable like Aquamedic EVO. I thought about the Kamoer X4 but feel not quite ready for primetime.

8FDED150-20CD-4239-9DB7-4A7ABFE280F7_zps1cgmckgg.jpg

I like that return pump, you will too.

As for dosing, why don't you try Kalk for a while. I'm sure it will handle your needs for at least the first several months, and no reason to stop once you decide on a doser. Have you seen the new WiFi doser?! I think this is the doser in all of our dreams and now it's here!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/x4-wifi-dosing-system-kamoer.html

Sounds like an awesome build! What are the dimensions of a 250? And volume?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build. This was well planned out:)

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @jsker! I've kept reefs for the better part of 20 years but have always had some glitch along the way, e.g. using power compacts when it should have been halides, bioballs when I didn't realize they were nitrate factories, watching six lines vanish because I didn't know they could jump out of tank, etc. I've tried to learn, read, learn and read some more and with the internet age, have been able to progress/learn from other reefers and great forums like this one, BRS TV, etc. I love reading build threads and watching reviews of products to hear what's working and what's not. It's amazing how our knowledge and equipment have grown over the years in this hobby.

I am currently running an IM Nuvo Fusion 20 at home which this tank will replace and an IM Fusion 10 at my office. I got the upgrade itch and had to wait until golf season to barter with the husband - he gets a golf pass and I get new tank. :) So, I've been planning this build for what seems like forever. :) Happy parts have started rolling in and it's not just a sketch on paper anymore!

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that return pump, you will too.

As for dosing, why don't you try Kalk for a while. I'm sure it will handle your needs for at least the first several months, and no reason to stop once you decide on a doser. Have you seen the new WiFi doser?! I think this is the doser in all of our dreams and now it's here!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/x4-wifi-dosing-system-kamoer.html

Sounds like an awesome build! What are the dimensions of a 250? And volume?

Thanks, @bif24701! I had considered the Kamoer X4 as mentioned above and initial descriptions looked great. However, a few folks are reporting glitchy issues with the wifi connectivity and the app still looks a little rough. The YouTube setup video is pretty funny - poorly computer generated narration FTW!

Dims for the 250 display are 35.5" long, 20' deep and 21" high for a total of 54 gallons of display volume + sump. Center Herbie-style overflow. It ships with matching cabinet and sump but the sump gets quite a few bad reviews so I went with Synergy.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @bif24701! I had considered the Kamoer X4 as mentioned above and initial descriptions looked great. However, a few folks are reporting glitchy issues with the wifi connectivity and the app still looks a little rough. The YouTube setup video is pretty funny - poorly computer generated narration FTW!

Dims for the 250 display are 35.5" long, 20' deep and 21" high for a total of 54 gallons of display volume + sump. Center Herbie-style overflow. It ships with matching cabinet and sump but the sump gets quite a few bad reviews so I went with Synergy.

Nano box seems like good lights, but what other options have you looked into? With those dimensions a Kessil AP700 would be ideal.

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bif24701, you are absolutely correct that the Kessil AP700 seems like a great choice and to be honest, it was my first choice because I love the shimmer and I've not been blown away by my xr30 Radion Pro (Gen 3) on my IM 20. However, detailed reviews of the AP700 left a little to be desired. Everyone raved about shimmer and color but some complained about spread and others complained about growth issues. I have honestly never read a bad review of Dave's work at Nanobox, emailed him for a recommend and he suggested his Quad Plus. He runs a Reefer 170 (among many other tanks) and had an excellent idea of my needs + killer customer service to boot.

Same analysis went into skimmer selection. For the Reefer 250, you'll generally see folks struggle between the Nyos 120 and the Deltec 1351 at the upper end of the spectrum. Both are obviously excellent skimmers but there were a few reported hiccups along the way for some Nyos users and again, I never found a bad review of the Deltec. Adam @Battlecorals was ridiculously quick with responses to any/all of my questions and has offered to remain available as the build progresses in case I need further assistance.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*EDITABLE BUILD SUMMARY: Before we get any further, I just figured out I can't go back and edit original post, so I will keep equipment updates/changes here as we move along.*.

An expert might chime in, but I've edited my posts in the past on my laptop. I don't know how to edit a post on mobile (TapTalk), but you should be able to edit your post. Here's a screenshot from a recent post I made (Edit button the left).
Edit.jpg

p.s. following this build, love your equipment choices

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @jsker! I've kept reefs for the better part of 20 years but have always had some glitch along the way, e.g. using power compacts when it should have been halides, bioballs when I didn't realize they were nitrate factories, watching six lines vanish because I didn't know they could jump out of tank, etc. I've tried to learn, read, learn and read some more and with the internet age, have been able to progress/learn from other reefers and great forums like this one, BRS TV, etc. I love reading build threads and watching reviews of products to hear what's working and what's not. It's amazing how our knowledge and equipment have grown over the years in this hobby.

I am currently running an IM Nuvo Fusion 20 at home which this tank will replace and an IM Fusion 10 at my office. I got the upgrade itch and had to wait until golf season to barter with the husband - he gets a golf pass and I get new tank. :) So, I've been planning this build for what seems like forever. :) Happy parts have started rolling in and it's not just a sketch on paper anymore!

I am in the same boat, with the learn what and what not to do with a reef tank. My problem is I am alway experimenting with new things:rolleyes::D. I like the Red Sea Reefer tanks, and it seem allot also like them. I have been thinking of getting a 250 and setting a thank up in my wife's office as a clown thank. I have only had one fish go floor surfing so far, the artfully acrylic tops are nice.

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat, with the learn what and what not to do with a reef tank. My problem is I am alway experimenting with new things:rolleyes::D. I like the Red Sea Reefer tanks, and it seem allot also like them. I have been thinking of getting a 250 and setting a thank up in my wife's office as a clown thank. I have only had one fish go floor surfing so far, the artfully acrylic tops are nice.

@jsker, I had a 120 gallon years ago with a huge box of power compacts on top and glass lids on the front. However, the hang on overflow (classy, I know...;)) required about 2" of space in the back and I'll be danged if I didn't lose at least 3 six lines through that small opening over the years. Drove me nutso when I figured out where they were going!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for sure get the wife a tank and get the 250! We're always up for a new build thread!!!
I have another one I going to do after the 250 red sea. Since I can not cut a hole between the master and the living room :oops::rolleyes: I am going to build a custom 150+ cube between the kitchen and dining area, and I can still look at it when I am in bed:p:D.

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I really hate that I can't go back and edit prior posts after a certain period of time so that the build thread has all relevant, current info in the top post!

New info: Decided on GHL 2.1 doser in white. @deaclauderdale had another one NIB that I snagged from him today!

Have been working on aquascape after reading some very good articles on rule of thirds, design elements for tank, etc. Will post pics when I get home. I have one major structure that looks bonsai-esque and a smaller arc. I'm pretty happy with it and impressed at how well the superglue gel holds things together when you glue dry rock. New experience for me.

Question of the day: I'm considering cleaning out a spare bathtub or getting a brute container to start soaking/ghost feeding my dry rock before my tank arrives. Is this worth the hassle or should I just do it in the tank when it arrives? Tank isn't coming for at least 3 weeks so I wanted to make good use of that time. Bathtub (after a proper cleaning) would allow me to place the rock structures in the saltwater, add heat, circulation and skimming. Brute would not allow the skimming but I could heat/circulate water/ghost feed.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely start the rock curing now. The pukani is usually loaded with dead stuff. I have cured by soaking in saltwater, and just testing phosphates, add lanthanum chloride, repeat. Water changes as needed after cycling, There's enough funk in the pukani to get the nitrification cycle done too.
I have just used buckets and powerheads, I didn't bother with a heater just had it in a climate controlled area.
Some people have reported it stinking to high heaven after a few days, I didn't notice anything.
I've done several batches as I have upgraded tanks and needed to increase the amount of rock. It's a little more work than other types of rock, but I personally prefer the look and porosity of the pukani.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question of the day: I'm considering cleaning out a spare bathtub or getting a brute container to start soaking/ghost feeding my dry rock before my tank arrives. Is this worth the hassle or should I just do it in the tank when it arrives? Tank isn't coming for at least 3 weeks so I wanted to make good use of that time. Bathtub (after a proper cleaning) would allow me to place the rock structures in the saltwater, add heat, circulation and skimming. Brute would not allow the skimming but I could heat/circulate water/ghost feed.

In general, the time required to pull all the phosphates out of dry Pukani is longer than the time for the nitrogen cycle to complete. Since many people soak the rock in acid, they've already committed themselves to the external container approach, so it's easy to continue that. There are a few threads on how to handle pukani. You can certainly do it all in your tank. Both the acid bath and doing in external container while you set up your tank are mostly about saving time. BRS is supposed to release a new investigates episode comparing the different 'curing' methods. I'm guessing the acid + bleach approach saves months compared to letting it leach out naturally.

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmcoker and @MrMichael, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I reviewed both the lanthanum and acid processes last night. I am not comfortable with the acid process for a number of reasons. 1. I'm a giant chicken and a huge klutz. Not a good mix with acid and bleach. 2. Owner of dog and child. Again, not a good mix with acid and bleach. 3. I really like the rock I've built/glued at this point and I don't want it to degrade and come apart.

I'm going with the lanthanum process. Will pick up Brute container on way home tonight, mix up some saltwater and have ordered the Brightwell Phosphat-e which is allegedly lanthanum-based (although they do not release their "proprietary" chemicals). I'm also chickening out on using the pool chemicals as I am worried I would overdose something. If I use the Brightwell's, at least I know the directions are formulated for aquariums. I'm sure it's ultimately more expensive but less anxiety is worth it.

I can put the Brute container in my tub and just tip it out for water changes which will be handy.

Question: No water change during cycle and then 50% per week, right?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cmcoker and @MrMichael, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I reviewed both the lanthanum and acid processes last night. I am not comfortable with the acid process for a number of reasons. 1. I'm a giant chicken and a huge klutz. Not a good mix with acid and bleach. 2. Owner of dog and child. Again, not a good mix with acid and bleach. 3. I really like the rock I've built/glued at this point and I don't want it to degrade and come apart.

I'm going with the lanthanum process. Will pick up Brute container on way home tonight, mix up some saltwater and have ordered the Brightwell Phosphat-e which is allegedly lanthanum-based (although they do not release their "proprietary" chemicals). I'm also chickening out on using the pool chemicals as I am worried I would overdose something. If I use the Brightwell's, at least I know the directions are formulated for aquariums.

I was also uncomfortable with the acid process because I live in a condo. I went with 12 hours in diluted bleach followed by two days in vinegar. Vinegar is such a weak acid, I'm not how much it helped. Buying that many gallons of vinegar is expensive compared to acid. If you don't mind buying 10-15 gallons of vinegar, it's an option.

I also used Phosphate-E from Brightwell because the SeaKlear version was sold out on Amazon. The trick with LC is that the phosphate becomes a particle you need to remove either via filter sock or skimmer. With a bucket, if you shake the rock, then the particle just settles at the bottom of the brute. I decided it was easier to just move the rock to my tank and run with excessive flow, a bare bottom, and use the skimmer and filter sock to remove the particles. When I was confident the phosphates were zero, then I added my sand (otherwise the phosphate particles would have settled in the sand). I did two weeks in a bucket, then another 2-3 in the tank. Then all was 0.0.

That approach might work for you. The 100% bucket with LC makes sense when you have stuff already in your DT or have sand. But taking advantage of the flow + filter sock was nice. You could even buy a 10 micron filter sock. I did a 100% water change when done. By the time my phosphates were gone, the rock had cycled. I never turned the tanks lights on.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back