Derasa Clam-gone in about 12 hours

cyclejockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 Derasa clams for two separate tanks. One seems to be doing fine (has color and the mantle is open). The other...gone. Just a little bit of tissue in the shell and the muscle that pulls it shut. I'm not sure if it was eaten. The tank only has a Mollie, turbo snail, bumblebee snail and coral in it right now. Plus, the natural detritus eaters like bristleworms. I read that those can be an issue but I don't know a tank that doesn't have them. Anyway, I'm super bummed. It was open and I could see the mantle last night.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumblebee's are the only red flag I see, but it would take some time for them to do any damage if it was them. Bristle worms are completely harmless to healthy living animals. Did you buy them from a LFS or shipped? Some people can be careless with the foot/bissal organ, which can be damaged if not removed properly when they are attached. Tested water? Heavy metals? Also, how were they acclimated?

OP
OP
C

cyclejockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Some people can be careless with the foot/bissal organ, which can be damaged if not removed properly when they are attached. Tested water? Heavy metals? Also, how were they acclimated?
So, this makes a lot of sense. The one that is doing fine has that "foot" attached. The other, did not. I wasn't looking for it so I took it from the store unknowingly. Petco special ordered it for me so it went from the shipping bag to my tank. I drip acclimated both of them over 2 hours. Salinity was 1.022 in the bag and 1.025 in my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back