Derasa clam PAR?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 150 PAR enough for a derasa clam? The spot that I’m looking at is around that PAR level with an AI prime.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the low end IMO, so maybe. My experience is with maximas, croceas, and squamosas, however. That would not be enough for those. But derasa's are said to require less light. More light would certainly help, as would feeding phyto perhaps.

Other's with derasas and par meters can chime in and maybe someone has kept one longer term with that amount of par?

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the low end IMO, so maybe. My experience is with maximas, croceas, and squamosas, however. That would not be enough for those. But derasa's are said to require less light. More light would certainly help, as would feeding phyto perhaps.

Other's with derasas and par meters can chime in and maybe someone has kept one longer term with that amount of par?
Cool. I’ve found them fascinating, so just probing to see if it’s possible without upgrading my light. But it sounds like it would probably be best to upgrade it if I were to get a clam.

Do you happen to know what the recommended PAR would be for a maxima, crocea, and squamosa are? If I was to upgrade my light, may as well be to something that can support one of the more colorful small clams

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would not provide less than 400 or 500 par to clams. The maximas and the like can take well over a 1000... basicly with the high ligjt species you cannot provide too much light.

I think the high light demand is what makes them hard to keep; you can fry other corals... . Also you want full spectrum. Think about the shallows they are collected from.... i think leds are not the same as halides, the latter being better quality light; reading posts since the 2000's people had less issues back then without leds... so if led, imo, make sure full spectrum for a good part of day, no pest (pyramid snails, etc), and high par.

Deresa and gigas, can be less light from what i read and ive seen videos of gigas consuming massive amounts of phyto. I am not sure the high light species feed like that or as much.

My 2 cents...

Controversial topic...

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems right for derasas from what i read. What do you think about his current 150 par though? That was his original question
You’re right I didn’t answer his question. I personally wouldn’t do it, but there are so many other factors involved other than par.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back