Derasa Clam Pest

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a first for me. I've had this ORA Derasa for about 3 months now. It's grown about 3 inches in that time period.

It gets out of place at times and falls over. I was repositioning it tonight and I saw..... AN ALIEN! I take it this is a Vermetid snail?

Never had one in a tank in all my years. I guess cut it off with bone cutters? Where would this have came from as I don't have any pests, pretty new tank. What are they known to hitchhike on?

Thanks all!

20230110_014617.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a first for me. I've had this ORA Derasa for about 3 months now. It's grown about 3 inches in that time period.

It gets out of place at times and falls over. I was repositioning it tonight and I saw..... AN ALIEN! I take it this is a Vermetid snail?

Never had one in a tank in all my years. I guess cut it off with bone cutters? Where would this have came from as I don't have any pests, pretty new tank. What are they known to hitchhike on?

Thanks all!

20230110_014617.jpg
Large Vermetid like that is of no problem. They don’t reproduce all over. While they don’t look beautiful, I leave them be. Diversity for the tank.
It is the small to tiny ones that will multiply all over the place.

For me, every deserve to be alive. I remove them if they cause significant problem for the tank.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everyone. I took it out today and used bone cutters and an investigation probe to scrape it all off.

I've never had one so I was a bit worried when I saw it. Freaky looking things.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks all!

20230110_014617.jpg
Glad u got rid of the alien. When u say 3” how are u measuring? I see white shell, new growth which is great but I don’t think that’s 3”. Good to see tho. Healthy. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't say it had grown 3 inches overnight, lol. The white shell is obviously growth, but the clam has doubled in size since I received it.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't say it had grown 3 inches overnight, lol. The white shell is obviously growth, but the clam has doubled in size since I received it.
Ofc not. But the new shell isn’t that that broad of a layer. And the old stuff looks…well old. Lol. Seems like it’s slowing down. I have a squamosa atm. Had a derasa long time. This is squammy growth. Last few months. Clams make the reefs Like that derasa mantle pls post when it’s open
667FBE06-DBBC-4B24-9AC1-FF78BA1D6138.jpeg

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Will do. I think you are thinking I said the mantle has grown 3 inches upward. No, I meant the clam overall has double in size horizontally as well.

I'm definitely not a clam expert, so maybe I will pick up some info from you.

Thanks.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will do. I think you are thinking I said the mantle has grown 3 inches upward. No, I meant the clam overall has double in size horizontally as well.

I'm definitely not a clam expert, so maybe I will pick up some info from you.

Thanks.
Sry, Not an expert here either, learning as I go, glad to see fellow hobbyists have success with their stock. Positive husbandry.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back