Desensitizing shy fish

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Blue Jaw Trigger and I know by nature they are reeeeeeeeeally shy.

My BJT is eating and comes out but I have to sit completely still. Any movement it darts to a hiding spot.

My tank is in a veeeeeery slow traffic part of the house. All the fish can go all day long and not see a human until I sit and watch and feed btwn 8pm to 11pm.

QUESTION:

Would it be beneficial to put a TV a couple of feet in front of the tank and just play it all day long as ALL the fish get use to movement, faces, flashes of light off the TV screen?

Goal is to DESENSITIZE all fish thru this TV facing the tank

Last edited:

Mr. Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think it would help as long as you don't blast them with sound waves and strobe lights:) Also if you give it a try and they don't show much improvement you should still give it some time as they're probably still adjusting to tank parameters and finding their ways around the tank safely. The longer they're in there and being fed well the more comfortable they'll get with the feeding process and your daily movements about the glass. And if that STILL doesn't work and a month+ goes by without any hope, then maybe you could rearrange your rock work to where they're forced to come out and get used to their new habitat but just remember this affects everyone else in the tank as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think it would help as long as you don't blast them with sound waves and strobe lights:)!

Yeah. I was planning ZERO audio. Far enough back that its would just show broadcast TV.

Maybe they'll get addicted to Soap Operas. Lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know when my reef was in a low traffic area, the fish tended to be shy. The TV is a creative idea. Let us know how it goes

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish were very timid when I first acquired them, I slowly acclimated them to my presence over a period of a few months by feeding and standing far away, then closer to the tank and not moving, then moving around slowly, to now (dump food in, clean glass, move around at a normal pace).

Now they're used to my nephews running around looking at the tank, when the see me come in the room they all come swimming up to the surface for food. It took awhile, but I started in the QT tank where they only had a few pvc pipes to hide in, but could still see me and feel like they were hidden. Once they learn to associate food = you, they'll be out and about constantly.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when my GF approaches the tank the fish usually hide in their sleeping spots...

But when I approach the tank they all stay out

So is it possible that they recognize me?

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that problem with a new Foxface Rabbitfish. Every time I walked past the tank he'd dart under a rock. I'm the only person here. I turned on music (I'm a classically trained pianist/composer) and it had an amazing effect on all the fish. Foxface came out of hiding, clowns and Banggai cardinals started to breed! That's just music. I'd imagine a TV could help in your situation. Worth a try.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question! My fish only get 5 minutes of interruption per day (long story) and the tangs now dart to hiding as soon as I open the door. I had to get a cloud cam just to confirm they are still alive!

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BJT is also really shy; meanwhile my Naso Tang follows me around like a puppy dog.

I spent two hours cleaning the tank tonight and he was literally on the other side of the glass, and brushing up against my hand. He has a ton of personality.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My blue jaw shy until the food comes out.
I have many that are shy but as long as they are healtt and shot their faces occasionally.... im ok with it

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish are and have been shy for the longest time. My yellow tang I’ve had him fir three years and he sees me he hides until it feeding time.
The cardinalfish, opecsee me they are gone even if feeding

Julian Bastidas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown fish (Bully) that we were trying to catch and now is always scare and makes my yellow tang scare and run for cover with fast movement in front of the tank

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dither fish being any active fish that will encourage other more sensitive fish to come out and eat. For example, chromis are good 'dither' fish.
Oh I thought they were these.
upload_2019-3-27_8-3-50.jpeg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tie/tape party streamers (~2-3' long) to the front of an oscillating fan and place in front of the aquarium. Generally within a few days your fish will be out and about consistently.

A step further would be to place a radio in/on the stand and let play while you're away. The random vibrations caused by radio are inline with the vibration caused by our footsteps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back