Designer coral with economical lighting

Would you buy expensive coral without high end lighting?

• No way, not worth the risk

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Yes, the coral can't tell the difference

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we all know, this hobby is anything but cheap. I'm curious how many people with economical set ups would dare to keep the trendy/pricey coral, or if that's seen as too risky for the investment in coral.

For me, I've always reefed on a budget, but over the years have gotten to the point where I've got a 150 gallon display fairly full of coral colonies, the largest about 18" across now, and currently adding a 125 gallon sump and basement frag tanks with a whole room dedicated in the basement for any expansions I'd want to my frag tanks, or reefing equipment. The way I've been able to do this is mainly through DIY projects, buying used tanks and equipment, non-reef branded supplements like driveway heat for Ca and baking soda for alkalinity, and using more affordable equipment like jebao pumps and black box lights. Through all of the money shortcuts I've taken, I'd say I've been pretty successful with never having a tank crash or major coral loss, and plenty of coral growth and color.

I am curious if I'm really missing out on coral growth/health/coloration...etc by reefing on a budget, or if with enough work a beautiful reef of similar looks and functionality can be had as those who buy top of the line brand name equipment. My 6 years of reefing I've bought coral that I liked and were never over $40-50. But recently I've been really eyeing up a lot of the designer pieces, and decided to give one a try and bought a nice piece of Walt Disney. After 2-3 months in my tank, I'm happy to say that it's actually coloring up more than it was when I bought it. I really noticed the color when shutting off water flow and looking top down. The frag started off almost all yellow, but now the yellows are getting brighter, and am starting to get blue at the tips and base. I'm tempted to start collecting more designer coral, but will give this one more time first to make sure my economical set up shows longer term success with this nice piece first.

Anyone else dare to add expensive coral while using cheap equipment?

WD.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has and will be done in many tanks. There are plenty who run Jebao and Viparspectra, MarsAqua...

In your case, if ain’t broken... you’re not missing out on anything by using less expensive stuff.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back