BRS/TM Balling Hybrid vs Moonshiner

  • Thread starter Thread starter kartrsu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kartrsu

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2019
Messages
874
Reaction score
580
Location
Glendale, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6376.jpeg


I'm looking for some feedback from experienced SPS reefers on long-term success for growth and coloration with manageable maintenance. I've decided to invest the time and effort into growing acropora, which I know requires more attention to be successful, but I'm also balancing the needs of the reef tank with kids. Currently my method is as such.

Dosing daily:
1) Red Sea Calcium
2) Red Sea Magnesium
3) BRS Soda Ash
4) KZ FlatwormStop (planning on stopping in a month after 6 months dosing and no signs of flatworms).
5) Red Sea Reef Energy

Feeding:
1) Mysis + benepets + pellet foods + selcon
2) Considering dosing phyto

Maintenance/Nutrient Export:
1) 15% water changes every week, vacuum sand every month
2) Change GFO and carbon every month
3) Refugium with Chaeto, harvest every month
4) Equipment cleaning (skimmers, Reefmat, powerheads, return)

Parameters:
Salinity: 35 ppt
Alkalinity: 8.0 dkh, generally stable
Calcium: 460ppm
Mag: 1350ppm
PO4: 0.13ppm, generally holds at 0.1-0.15, does drop <0.1 after replacing GFO
NO3: 13ppm
PH: 7.9-8.0 (run carbon, dose soda ash, but windows in home always closed and don't want to run skimmer line outside for fear of aerosols outside)

I've been reading more about trace elements and their importance and I'm debating if I should attempt the BRS/TM Balling Hybrid or the Moonshiner method to supplant the tank. I've had bad experiences with Red Sea ABCD that was probably due to user error, but it led to a massively elevated trace elements that messed with my tank while I was on vacation.

Am I thinking too much by changing things up? Growth and coloration are fine, but I get the feeling it's not optimal.
 
If you want simple take a look at DSR ez trace. I have been running it for 8 years now.
Also dose esv strontium once a week.
I run esv 2 part in my 50g and a carx in the 170.
WC 10% once a month.
My old 120, 20g nano cube and current ext 170.
20220106_131923.jpg
20220926_094455.jpg
20240522_140910.jpg
 
I used the balling method for years produced pretty good results. I know still use brs ca , alk,mg and tropic Marin part c and the reef moonshine method . What I can tell you if after about two months on moonshine my alk consumption shot up crazy due to growth and I have colors in coral I have never had befor .
 
Ran both for multiple years and even ran the same system both ways. I found no benefit to the Moonshiners method. Especially when you consider the cost and time.

My tank actually improved after leaving the RM method, doing my weekly water changes, and going to the BRS balling hybrid method. My ICP test showed trace elements a little low overall so I increased the A and K elements to 330ml per gallon of additive. I was at the 160ml per gallon or whatever the middle dosage is.

I dosed 3000ml of saturated kalk, 225ml of soda ash and 200-210ml of calcium per day to meet demand.

IMG_1510.jpeg


IMG_1511.jpeg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new