Help with Damaged Coral

Nathaniellund17

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 10, 2022
Messages
110
Reaction score
28
Location
St. Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an SPS coral come unglued from a rock and fell on top of one of my soft corals below. It looked fine when I pulled it up 2 days ago, but now looking at it, appears some branches are dying. What is the best way to treat the coral? Should I clip off the dying branches to keep it from spreading? Should I frag some of the good branches as it might have already spread to the base? Should I leave it alone, and hopefully it pulls through?

IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1538.jpeg IMG_1539.jpeg
 
This is NOT my specialty, but I think your SPS was mildly poisoned. Some softies can secrete unwanted substances to combat a perceived threat. I'll leave any specifics to others but I'd leave it be until you hear otherwise.
 
This looks like it’s bleaching. Since it still has polyp extension in the damaged areas this is a good sign that it can make a full recovery.

Slightly lower light than usual and a bit more aminos for a few days may help.
 
The bleaching is now progressing to other branches. If the entire coral bleaches... is it still possible to make a recovery, or should I consider fragging some of the branches?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 44
If it's spreading, I'd frag off a healthy nub and remount.
 
Back in the day we just dragged it. Wasn’t anything g to stop stn/rtn. It isn’t bleached like another poster said, it’s stn’ng.
 
Thanks all for the replies. I went ahead and fragged a few nubs - hopefully they pull through.

The rtn hasn't spread to the base yet. Do you think I can cut off the parts that show rtn, and try to recover the base... I guess the only bad thing that could happen is everything still dies.
 
Corals make wild recoveries sometimes, you just need to try keeping everything as stable as possible. Fragging was probably best in this situation so I wish you luck.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new