Help with Damaged Coral

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an SPS coral come unglued from a rock and fell on top of one of my soft corals below. It looked fine when I pulled it up 2 days ago, but now looking at it, appears some branches are dying. What is the best way to treat the coral? Should I clip off the dying branches to keep it from spreading? Should I frag some of the good branches as it might have already spread to the base? Should I leave it alone, and hopefully it pulls through?

IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1538.jpeg IMG_1539.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is NOT my specialty, but I think your SPS was mildly poisoned. Some softies can secrete unwanted substances to combat a perceived threat. I'll leave any specifics to others but I'd leave it be until you hear otherwise.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This looks like it’s bleaching. Since it still has polyp extension in the damaged areas this is a good sign that it can make a full recovery.

Slightly lower light than usual and a bit more aminos for a few days may help.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bleaching is now progressing to other branches. If the entire coral bleaches... is it still possible to make a recovery, or should I consider fragging some of the branches?

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 14

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's spreading, I'd frag off a healthy nub and remount.

saltytanked

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day we just dragged it. Wasn’t anything g to stop stn/rtn. It isn’t bleached like another poster said, it’s stn’ng.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies. I went ahead and fragged a few nubs - hopefully they pull through.

The rtn hasn't spread to the base yet. Do you think I can cut off the parts that show rtn, and try to recover the base... I guess the only bad thing that could happen is everything still dies.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals make wild recoveries sometimes, you just need to try keeping everything as stable as possible. Fragging was probably best in this situation so I wish you luck.

Back