Designing the Perfect Small AIO. Post your feature request, or wish list & let's build it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Lots of pump/light/heater/etc are junk. The lid is not a problem because we are doing a crowd sourced design on that also. I put up some preliminary sizes and styles on our website. Placeholder sale price of $150. This is a placeholder selling price. The actual price will be less. You bring up a point that we take seriously and this is why the existing small AIO are so pricey. They are premium quality with only well known trusted components. I spent much time thinking about this dilemma and my proposed solution is to perhaps offer a bare bones, unkitted AIO. No pump, light, media, etc. The stuff you can buy online and exactly to your specs. The only options to be lid, color and size. This would drive the SP well below $100. Always with a guarantee of cosmetically flawless seams and lifetime EZ swap warranty. The EZ swap warranty is something we came up with last year. Btw, lid option for this type of aquarium would be around $30 or less plus shipping.
Would size aquarium were you thinking for that price???

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would size aquarium were you thinking for that price???
Take a look. They already are up there. More to be added. More sizes to be added. The objective is sub $100. This little exercise has been a real eye opener for us. Our target markets are 1) premium, high end aquariums sold mostly through maintenance companies. These sales are usually in the range of $4,000 to $12,000 and are of 350 to 700 gallons. All inclusive. Tank, lighting, furniture, life support. On the other end is now going to be our focus on the second market 2) the DIY hobbyist who is capable of building their own systems given the right tools and pieces. This market is where we as a company can do better. We will be very rapidly moving forward with making cost effective, QUALITY components available to the DIY hobbyist. We probably won't offer pumps, heaters and stuff like that you can buy very well on your own. Only aquariums and related components we know we can make better than anyone else.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do not see any sizes on the website; just different styles.

Edited: I've just seen the dimensions under the 'Add to Cart' button. It's not easy to see that.

Those dimensions are bigger than what I was looking at on my original thread that started this off and, whilst a range of options is always good, they wouldn't have met my requirements for sub-10 gallons.

If you go up to the 13 gal size, then you start to compete with the likes of the Fluval Evo 13, which is very cheap and awesome. You also have offerings from IM, Waterbox, Fuji and others from 10 gal upwards.

The difficulty I had (and why I started my original thread that may have been the trigger for this one) was getting something nice that was under 10 gal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edited: I've just seen the dimensions under the 'Add to Cart' button. It's not easy to see that.

Those dimensions are bigger than what I was looking at on my original thread that started this off and, whilst a range of options is always good, they wouldn't have met my requirements for sub-10 gallons.

If you go up to the 13 gal size, then you start to compete with the likes of the Fluval Evo 13, which is very cheap and awesome. You also have offerings from IM, Waterbox, Fuji and others from 10 gal upwards.

The difficulty I had (and why I started my original thread that may have been the trigger for this one) was getting something nice that was under 10 gal.
These are tentative. More will be added. The graphics and product details are being worked on.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The fluval Evo 13 is around $180. Ours will be comparable will be much lower than that. I am more convinced to offer the bare bones tank only option and then let everyone kit to suit.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good ideas. Just want to make clear we don't build glass. Only acrylic.
Deal breaker for most. There was another company that made small acrylic nano tanks and....pretty sure they are out of business. Sorry for being frank but good luck.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deal breaker for most. There was another company that made small acrylic nano tanks and....pretty sure they are out of business. Sorry for being frank but good luck.
We've been building these for a long time.
15339BB4-C973-41D2-8114-02EAD3829BE1.jpeg
Here is an image of one of the very first ever AIO. Built in 1979. Full wet /dry instead of the current wet /wet offerings. More on that later maybe. This little guy has been going strong for over 40 years. It's been a saltie and fresh over the years. The original lighting was an OSRAM Dulux CFL.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The fluval Evo 13 is around $180. Ours will be comparable will be much lower than that. I am more convinced to offer the bare bones tank only option and then let everyone kit to suit.

The Fluval Evo comes with a usable pump (although most do upgrade), a useable light (although most do upgrade) and a hood. It is also glass (which some people may prefer; others maybe not). You can buy them in your LFS and you can get spares. You can often get them on offer at big box stores (I didn't pay any more than $160 for either of mine).

Waterbox Cube 10 is $180 and Peninsula 15 is $200. IM Fusion 2 10 gal is currently $240 but that comes with a return pump, screen cover and media basket.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for models in these sizes, but there is already a competitive market for them. For example, if I wanted a 10 gal I would probably get the Waterbox, if I wanted a 13 gal I would get the Fluval Evo (I already have 2!). If I wanted something smaller than that, then that is where it becomes more difficult (although the Lifegard tank I bought is actually nicer than I thought it would be, but I've had to upgrade almost everything on it).

If you're going to compete with models in the 10-15 gal range then you need to do something to make yours stand out IMO. Under 10 gal and I think (I could be wrong) people will buy them even if they are quite basic, as long as they are nicely made (and affordable). As an example, a manufacturer of acrylic aquariums, with a good quality for reputation, recently released a 1 gal tank (that's not a typo!) for $350, with a tiny return pump but no light or heater, and people are buying them; maybe not in huge numbers but they are selling, which indicates to me that there is a demand for smaller tanks that isn't being filled.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fluval Evo comes with a usable pump (although most do upgrade), a useable light (although most do upgrade) and a hood. It is also glass (which some people may prefer; others maybe not). You can buy them in your LFS and you can get spares. You can often get them on offer at big box stores (I didn't pay any more than $160 for either of mine).

Waterbox Cube 10 is $180 and Peninsula 15 is $200. IM Fusion 2 10 gal is currently $240 but that comes with a return pump, screen cover and media basket.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for models in these sizes, but there is already a competitive market for them. For example, if I wanted a 10 gal I would probably get the Waterbox, if I wanted a 13 gal I would get the Fluval Evo (I already have 2!). If I wanted something smaller than that, then that is where it becomes more difficult (although the Lifegard tank I bought is actually nicer than I thought it would be, but I've had to upgrade almost everything on it).

If you're going to compete with models in the 10-15 gal range then you need to do something to make yours stand out IMO. Under 10 gal and I think (I could be wrong) people will buy them even if they are quite basic, as long as they are nicely made (and affordable). As an example, a manufacturer of acrylic aquariums, with a good quality for reputation, recently released a 1 gal tank (that's not a typo!) for $350, with a tiny return pump but no light or heater, and people are buying them; maybe not in huge numbers but they are selling, which indicates to me that there is a demand for smaller tanks that isn't being filled.
Game on!

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a nice idea and would love to see more choices for acrylic tanks. I had several of them 40 years ago and really liked them. To me the biggest challenge was mounting some equipment and lighting. The euro-style top bracing hindered anything that rim-mounted on a tank, like many of today's puck or can style lighting--and practically anything that was HOB. It looks like some of your larger tanks take this into consideration with the design of the top brace. I would just caution to be sure it is easy to add some of the popular lights like Kessil A80/A160 or AI Prime 16HD. And make sure the return chamber is large enough for a decent quality return pump like Sicce or possibly even the IM Mighty Jet. Making sure that a Tunze 9001 will fit would be a big plus to many although in small tanks a skimmer is rarely actually needed.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a nice idea and would love to see more choices for acrylic tanks. I had several of them 40 years ago and really liked them. To me the biggest challenge was mounting some equipment and lighting. The euro-style top bracing hindered anything that rim-mounted on a tank, like many of today's puck or can style lighting--and practically anything that was HOB. It looks like some of your larger tanks take this into consideration with the design of the top brace. I would just caution to be sure it is easy to add some of the popular lights like Kessil A80/A160 or AI Prime 16HD. And make sure the return chamber is large enough for a decent quality return pump like Sicce or possibly even the IM Mighty Jet. Making sure that a Tunze 9001 will fit would be a big plus to many although in small tanks a skimmer is rarely actually needed.
These are some of our NaturePoint Planted tanks. You are correct about the light mounting. This is what we did in the planted space. We also are updating our ReefPoint frag tanks with this option.

NaturePoint.jpg

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My all in one nano is a 10 cube and it works really well. You don’t need to include any of your wet dry options as that bumps up the price heavily.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My all in one nano is a 10 cube and it works really well. You don’t need to include any of your wet dry options as that bumps up the price heavily.
Ok. Done. That size will retail for around $90 plus shipping. Clear or black back no charge. The cubes will all be priced the same. Optional lid $30. Guaranteed cosmetically flawless with lifetime warranty

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure this is what everyone is describing. Btw if guys could just put a brace on the display and not the sump if would solve all of the problems with mounting a light or hiding wires. I’m not sure if it’s Possible but you could consider it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure this is what everyone is describing. Btw if guys could just put a brace on the display and not the sump if would solve all of the problems with mounting a light or hiding wires. I’m not sure if it’s Possible but you could consider it.
Pretty close. We are not big on the wall to wall. For easthetic reasons. But yes, pretty much this is it. BTW, we will also offer this as a low cost insert. Around $30.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back