Designing the Perfect Small AIO. Post your feature request, or wish list & let's build it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Bosch 2.25-HP and a smaller kobalt. Any special bit for edge trimming acrylic?
Either one of your routers will be fine. As for the bit, I recommend a spiral upcut. The difference between an up cut router bit and a down cut router bit is the direction of the flutes. Here is more general information on the Ups and Downs (sorry could not resist that one)

Since we presumably only doing trim work both will work. The rest of this is for general information. On an up cut router bit, if you hold the bit by the shank and point it straight down as if you were going to do a plunge cut into the surface of your work piece, you would be able to drill into the work piece by turning the bit in a clockwise rotation. With a down cut bit, you would need to turn it counter-clockwise to be able drill into the surface. An up cut bit is very efficient in evacuating chips up and out of the cut. It will leave a very clean finish at the bottom of the work piece, but will leave a rougher surface on the top of the surface (or the side that the bit enters the work piece).

A down cut bit does just the opposite. It is best to use a down cut bit for thru cuts, as a down cut bit pushes the chips down into the cut. Down cut bits will leave a very clean cut on the top of the work piece, but may leave a rougher finish on the bottom. Again, this does not apply to trim bits so an up cut is our preferred bit.

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like something in the size range of 24x24 with it being 8 inches high. Can you possibly include the frag rack that fits the tank? What is the size of the all in one? I don’t mind having a top brace as there would be a lid on it and it’s not supposed to be perfectly visually perfect. I wouldn’t want a siliconed acrylic tank either because the bonds with eventually fail in a few years unlike glass. The main reason you would be getting an acrylic tank is to have the bonded seams. You might as well use glass for this. I do understand that your just trying to use up your scraps both feel strongly about not using acrylic and glass together.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like something in the size range of 24x24 with it being 8 inches high. Can you possibly include the frag rack that fits the tank? What is the size of the all in one? I don’t mind having a top brace as there would be a lid on it and it’s not supposed to be perfectly visually perfect. I wouldn’t want a siliconed acrylic tank either because the bonds with eventually fail in a few years unlike glass. The main reason you would be getting an acrylic tank is to have the bonded seams. You might as well use glass for this. I do understand that your just trying to use up your scraps both feel strongly about not using acrylic and glass together.
It's not the scrap issue. We talked about that and it would not work since our scrap harvest always changes. It was simply a matter of how many would have routers. I agree solvent welds are much nicer.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either one of your routers will be fine. As for the bit, I recommend a spiral upcut. The difference between an up cut router bit and a down cut router bit is the direction of the flutes. Here is more general information on the Ups and Downs (sorry could not resist that one)

Since we presumably only doing trim work both will work. The rest of this is for general information. On an up cut router bit, if you hold the bit by the shank and point it straight down as if you were going to do a plunge cut into the surface of your work piece, you would be able to drill into the work piece by turning the bit in a clockwise rotation. With a down cut bit, you would need to turn it counter-clockwise to be able drill into the surface. An up cut bit is very efficient in evacuating chips up and out of the cut. It will leave a very clean finish at the bottom of the work piece, but will leave a rougher surface on the top of the surface (or the side that the bit enters the work piece).

A down cut bit does just the opposite. It is best to use a down cut bit for thru cuts, as a down cut bit pushes the chips down into the cut. Down cut bits will leave a very clean cut on the top of the work piece, but may leave a rougher finish on the bottom. Again, this does not apply to trim bits so an up cut is our preferred bit.

I believe I have an upcut spiral already, good explanation for those who may not understand what we mean!

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This size is probably the largest we would do flat pack Peninsula but can be configured as rectangle. @5G Reefer, that 24x24 is a good size. Good sheet yield but might make it just an inch smaller all around to leave enough trim.

Tenecor Frag 5.jpeg

Tenecor Frag 4.jpeg

5G Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the scrap issue. We talked about that and it would not work since our scrap harvest always changes. It was simply a matter of how many would have routers. I agree solvent welds are much nicer.
Can you reply to me though I mean it’s been a while

so how high is that tank and would you make them 8 inches? And ya making them a little smaller around doesn’t matter.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not but I think that with decent instructions, maybe including suitable solvent with the pack and maybe some kind of jig and pins (or make the solvent, jigs, pins available for separate purchase) I could tackle a simple build. My biggest concern would be the AIO section on an AIO tank because of the inside welds. Maybe a generic what order to weld type document?

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would we be getting the curves corners or is that just one piece of acrylic?
Please earlier post. We would only do square corner flat packs. Otherwise flat pack is not so flat. Doing the bends is a bridge too far for most DIY.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not but I think that with decent instructions, maybe including suitable solvent with the pack and maybe some kind of jig and pins (or make the solvent, jigs, pins available for separate purchase) I could tackle a simple build. My biggest concern would be the AIO section on an AIO tank because of the inside welds. Maybe a generic what order to weld type document?
I must have posted the sump insturction sample at the same time as you. Please see a couple replies above.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back