Desjardini tang eating coral

nycewrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a desjardini tang from DrReefs about a month ago and since day 1 he eats my Kenya tree coral. At first it was just nipping but lately I can see actual damage being done.

He’s currently in a 150gl mixed reef tank that fed heavily and provided nori daily.

Anyone else heard of this before

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a desjardini tang from DrReefs about a month ago and since day 1 he eats my Kenya tree coral. At first it was just nipping but lately I can see actual damage being done.

He’s currently in a 150gl mixed reef tank that fed heavily and provided nori daily.

I rarely if ever seen this. I would not miss kenyii which overtook a past tank of mine but i respect its a coral of yours.
Try planting nori seaweed near it and see if you can steer its interest in the seaweed. Cant say again ive seen them eat Any softies

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome
IMG_8890.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang nip at my trachyphyllia corals; I rehomed it.

I very recently purchased a desjardini tang, and it did a marvelous job at consuming my hair algae. I hope it doesn’t develop an appetite for my corals in the future. :)

Tangs don’t normally pick on corals, but in rare cases they can.

OP
OP
N

nycewrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang nip at my trachyphyllia corals; I rehomed it.

I very recently purchased a desjardini tang, and it did a marvelous job at consuming my hair algae. I hope it doesn’t develop an appetite for my corals in the future. :)

Tangs don’t normally pick on corals, but in rare cases they can.
He hasn’t touched the hair algae in my tank sadly. He holds the other 2 tangs in check so I can’t re home it

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn’t touched the hair algae in my tank sadly. He holds the other 2 tangs in check so I can’t re home it
If you are feeding heavily, the fish is less likely to consume the hair algae.

Are Kenya trees the only coral the desjardini tang consumes? Kenya trees are very invasive and not very attractive corals IMO. I personally see it as a good thing.

However, if you really like the Kenya tree, then you need to make a decision: rehome that tang or accept that you can’t keep Kenya trees.

Once a fish has its eye on a coral, you can’t bribe it with other foods. They will pick at it for fun and pleasure.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome!

welcome!

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are feeding heavily, the fish is less likely to consume the hair algae.

Are Kenya trees the only coral the desjardini tang consumes? Kenya trees are very invasive and not very attractive corals IMO. I personally see it as a good thing.

However, if you really like the Kenya tree, then you need to make a decision: rehome that tang or accept that you can’t keep Kenya trees.

Once a fish has its eye on a coral, you can’t bribe it with other foods. They will pick at it for fun and pleasure.
Agreed with this post

For sure once a fish has something in its eyes it’s hard to change their attention to something else specially if they have been so focused on their attended target

Welcome to the R2R board

1705312343837.gif

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

YES!

My sailfin and PBT nibble on Kenya Trees. The sailfin went crazy one day and ate a huge pulsing xenia. I'm suspicious they are nibbling on some Duncans now, but I haven't set up a camera to catch them in the act.

TANG-WELCOME.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Kenya tree a favorite coral that the tang is eating in spite for its distaste for captivity?
I have a chinchilla that chews on drywall and I think it’s doing that to spite me for keeping it in our house?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I hope the tang doesn’t destroy the tree.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back