Powder Blue Tang Eating LPS

rlamos1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew this was a thing until I just experienced it. My PBT is nipping the heads off a couple Goni's and a Hammer. Searches in this forum and elsewhere reveal a surprising number of people having gone through this with multiple Tang species including the PBT.

It has been with me >3 years, is about 5" long and 3/4" at the belly; it is fairly mature. It gets distracted from the coral when I clip some nori in there, but is back on the hunt otherwise. Not crazy shredding of the coral, just occasional popping heads off and spitting out. But this is new behavior as of a week or two, so who knows how it will evolve. I've tried moving around things and that only worked for a day or two.

I see repeated often that once they get the taste for coral, that's it. I also have seen it mentioned that they became model citizens after having been relocated to different tanks. I'm thinking of mimicking that by relocating it to my quarantine for 30 days or so and reintroducing to my DT. My question is, has anybody had success with relocating to a new tank long term?

Thanks for any feedback.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back