Desjardini Tang Feeding Help

Eye H8 Empty V

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2019
Messages
486
Reaction score
675
Location
Magnolia, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a juvi Desjardini Tang on Sunday, one of my dream fish. He looked good in the store and they had him for about 2 weeks. I've had him for 2 days and he's looking skinny. He will not eat nori, mastick, marine flakes, or Hikari S pellets. But he goes crazy over frozen Marine Cuisine. I thought these guys were supposed to be vegetarian grazers. Is there a way to ween him off of frozen food so he doesn't starve if I have to go out of town?

Thanks!

Billy
 
So I just got a juvi Desjardini Tang on Sunday, one of my dream fish. He looked good in the store and they had him for about 2 weeks. I've had him for 2 days and he's looking skinny. He will not eat nori, mastick, marine flakes, or Hikari S pellets. But he goes crazy over frozen Marine Cuisine. I thought these guys were supposed to be vegetarian grazers. Is there a way to ween him off of frozen food so he doesn't starve if I have to go out of town?

Thanks!

Billy
There’s a downside to ALL fish believed to have a vegetarian diet:
All of them need some sort of nutrient rich food source, some use coral for the calcium (Blennies) whilst others will use different things. You really want him to be on frozen as well as pellets, a strict algae diet isn’t always a good move.
 
There’s a downside to ALL fish believed to have a vegetarian diet:
All of them need some sort of nutrient rich food source, some use coral for the calcium (Blennies) whilst others will use different things. You really want him to be on frozen as well as pellets, a strict algae diet isn’t always a good move.
I've got a Hydros Auto Feeder which disperses pellets so that is optimal. If I only feed the pellets will he eventually starve to death or will he get hungry enough to break down and eat them? I starve our kids of mac n chesse for weeks in order get them to eat veggies. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
I've got a Hydros Auto Feeder which disperses pellets so that is optimal. If I only feed the pellets will he eventually starve to death or will he get hungry enough to break down and eat them? I starve our kids of mac n chesse for weeks in order get them to eat veggies. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Unfortunately I haven’t found that to work. The best way to get them feeding is through feeding the pellets with what they’re already feeding on. Also, whilst pellets are very nutritional they really aren’t a good diet on their own and need to be mixed in with other meaty foods such as Chopped Scallop.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new