Desjardin's sailfin tang

jden092901

Joshua
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my 120 gallon reef here in a month or two. In the future I would like to get a Blue Hippo Tang and Desjardin's Sailfin tang. I know you can have more then one yellow tang, my friend has a few in his tank. Can I do the same with the Desjardin's Sailfin tang? I think two of these would be so beautiful and if they schooled together, how cool would that be!

Thank you,

Joshua

OP
OP
J

jden092901

Joshua
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thank you for your help. I'll have to read more about them. So far with what what I have it says that they are not as aggressive as other tangs. However, I could have read it wrong or could have been incorrect information.

Thank you,

Josh

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion a sailfin gets way to big for a 120,I have a 120and my favorite fish is the sailfin but I have to resist because I don't want to upgrade anytime soon.

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
Sailfins get REAL big. They need a lot of room to swim. I would agree than 120 is a bit small for long term health. Also, I wouldn't try to do more than one in a tank unless you have a huge tank. They are typically less agressive than a purple or yellow but also get much bigger. It has been my experience that tangs ususally get more agressive as they get older. I have seen people keep multiple yellows in a tank until one day one of them decides it dosen't like conspecifics anymore... I think that if you want a school of tangs you better plan for a very, very large system.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that a 120 would become too small soon enough and that the fish can be bit of a bully.

I had a small one in my 92G tank and he grew quite quickly. I caught him and sold him to someone with a 300G tank. I didn't want to move him to my 268G as he had a bit of an attitude as well.

joemarchetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a purple, or yellow would be fine if you want a zebrasoma. Any of the bristletooth tangs would be fine as well.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back