Desperately Need Firebelly Newt Help

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I know this is a fish forum but I am hoping there is a newt/salamander expert who would be willing to help me. I am a member at caudata.org but I haven't received any help since posting on Sunday so I am desperate.

My son has two tiny firebelly newts. They still have external gills and are only aquatic at this time. One developed some tiny dots and they are bigger today. It looks like a cotton ball.

I am having a heck of a time finding info on how to treat this. I am considering a saltwater dip or using the Ruby Reef Kick Ich (I am in Canada and this is the only ich medicine available due to what is allowed to be sold as aquatic medicine in 2019).

If i do a salt water dip, what salinity should I use? How long should I dip?

If you have any other suggestions, I am all ears (or eyes since this is the internet).

Please help! These little guys were the size of a toothpick when we got them and they are growing nicely. We don't want them to die!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding all the info I just put in a post at caudata...
I haven’t tested the water for a couple of weeks but it was perfect the last 3 times I checked it. I did a water change yesterday. I will test tonight and post up if there are water quality issues. Temp in the tank is about 72 which is on the higher side but it has been at this temp since it was set up. The tank looks a bit grungy but it was cleaned since. Also, there are plants in the tank which had been removed to clean up.

this started as tiny white dots and is now getting bigger.now it appears to be stringy and coming off.

it’s eating fine and has normal activity levels. The other one has nothing on it.

one other thing. When I did the water change there was a creepy bug in the tank!!! I’m hoping it’s a mosquito larvae (as I have no idea what other creature could have gotten into the tank). Pic isn’t very good.

A164D828-BD93-4B39-AD35-D026DE2D6A23.jpeg 192938A6-EEF2-4017-BF74-E8A363CC275C.jpeg 8AEF7CEA-D107-4635-B35D-9BA6C8B2EEE4.jpeg 8FC5176B-267B-4773-B247-365D6446D4EE.jpeg

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the recommendation (from caudata.org) is for a salt water dip with a salt to water ratio of “2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre of water for 10-15 mins”

Anyone disagree?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back