Desperately need some colour (color?)

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again, I've decided that I really need to get some colour and movement on to the reef.
What does anyone recommend for a quick impact? I need something bright that will show up under the current LED blue and white lights.
And changing the subject a little, I'm beginning to think that the smaller Cardinal is no longer with us. I'm quite sure that I saw a tiny backbone with a bit of tail attached float by this morning. By the time I got to the net it had disappeared into the rocks.
IMG_20210912_091206_187.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia are always a good bet provided the tank is ready for it.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Not sure I'm ready for any more fish just yet. I have been told that damsels are very nasty and I think the Royal Dottyback has enough grumpiness for one tank. So I think the next thing will be some LPS corals. Anything green just looks brownish under these lights (apart from the green zoa) so I will be looking for reds and yellows maybe.
Any ideas?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Not sure I'm ready for any more fish just yet. I have been told that damsels are very nasty and I think the Royal Dottyback has enough grumpiness for one tank. So I think the next thing will be some LPS corals. Anything green just looks brownish under these lights (apart from the green zoa) so I will be looking for reds and yellows maybe.
Any ideas?
It’s hard to imagine anything with green fluorescence looking brown under those lights. Outside of a RBTA or a Goniopora (both of which are not for beginners, not saying you’re a beginner, but I didn’t see a lot of coral in your tank), I can’t think of any other red corals/anemones that are going to give you much movement. I would look into maybe some clove polyps (there are some with yellows and oranges), some Euphyllia/Fimbriaphyllia (there are some yellow/orange ones but they can be expensive), some Xenia (not the most colorful, but lots of movement), some GSP (green, definitely won’t look brown, and lots of movement), neon green Sinularia/Nepthea (won’t look brown and will provide some movement), and Duncans (not the most colorful, will look whitish/green/teal under your lights, but are still quite pretty and will provide movement).

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. I only have a small green zoa, small orange zoa, a Xenia (which detached itself from the plug and vanished) and a section of GSP about 3 inches long. It's a bit straggly to show any color really because only 14 polyps (about 20%) are opening although this is 14 times better than before I moved it yesterday!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back