Detached Polyps Stand a chance on Candy Cane Lps?

Computom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Again!
So about 3 months ago my Emerald Crab, 'Knobulus" jumped out of a cave for the old suprise attack, out of nowhere on my candy cane coral. He rippied one of the polyps right off before my shocked eyes. We had words. Then I think he flipped me off with his little claw and he proceeded to completely tear all polyps off over the course of the next day or two. Its small coral, 3 heads. (2 when I got it, it had split once and was seeming happy). Not cool, Knobulus. he is now living in my coral free refugium.
So now ive had two large polyps, that i guess were not fully seperate from each other yet as they are one unit. I have them in a jar, in the tank, with some rubble and with a piece of mesh on top so they can stay put. Its in a back corner of the tank where its getting some light and a small amout of flow (otherwise it blows all over the place).
I think its been around 3 months since its been this way. The colour of the polyps is very vivid still, hasnt diminished, and the polyps open up large nearly all the time. Feeding tentacles out a lot as well. Been making sure he gets some food.
So, it looks actually really healthy in all ways, except having no skeleton... which obviously isnt good.
So... on to my question.
Anyone EVER seen or heard of a fully detached polyp regrowing a new skeleton and surviving? I searched a lot and could find no one saying yes to this, but things have looked so well for so long now.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Again!
So about 3 months ago my Emerald Crab, 'Knobulus" jumped out of a cave for the old suprise attack, out of nowhere on my candy cane coral. He rippied one of the polyps right off before my shocked eyes. We had words. Then I think he flipped me off with his little claw and he proceeded to completely tear all polyps off over the course of the next day or two. Its small coral, 3 heads. (2 when I got it, it had split once and was seeming happy). Not cool, Knobulus. he is now living in my coral free refugium.
So now ive had two large polyps, that i guess were not fully seperate from each other yet as they are one unit. I have them in a jar, in the tank, with some rubble and with a piece of mesh on top so they can stay put. Its in a back corner of the tank where its getting some light and a small amout of flow (otherwise it blows all over the place).
I think its been around 3 months since its been this way. The colour of the polyps is very vivid still, hasnt diminished, and the polyps open up large nearly all the time. Feeding tentacles out a lot as well. Been making sure he gets some food.
So, it looks actually really healthy in all ways, except having no skeleton... which obviously isnt good.
So... on to my question.
Anyone EVER seen or heard of a fully detached polyp regrowing a new skeleton and surviving? I searched a lot and could find no one saying yes to this, but things have looked so well for so long now.
Never heard of it but from what you have said it sounds like they are doing good and there is a chance.

OP
OP
C

Computom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of it but from what you have said it sounds like they are doing good and there is a chance.
Well, that's encouraging.
It seems that they are doing better, for longer than most reports I have read of similar happenings.
Still no sign of a skeleton happening tho.
Was really hoping to hear a success story.... Anyone ever heard one?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back