Determining if a tang is thin...

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Jahalu, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jahalu

Jahalu Well-Known Member

I usually look at the concave curve of a fish's underbelly to determine if it's thin, but I don't think this works with tangs. Where exactly should I be looking to determine if a tang is thin?

Tags:

2. Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain Well-Known Member

I always think the entire fish’s body should be pretty thick. If the fish has an overall nice girth, you’re doing well. The belly shouldn’t look overly distended after eating. To me, this indicates that the overall body mass is too low.

Hope that answers your question?

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

With a tang you should never see ribs.

When looking at a tang head-on, the body should gently get wider toward the middle of the body and taper toward the dorsal and anal fin. When looking from above the middle of the fish should be thickest and nose and caudal should be thinner.

It's body should not be so thick as to lose it's streamlined shape.

mort likes this.
  4. mort

mort Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Tangs can really lose condition quickly as they need to eat a lot daily. Often when they are shipped you can see a pinched in stomach. This area should be nice and round and not concave at all.
    The picture below from Google show the area pinched in on a fish that is otherwise not too bad (could do with a little fattening over the ribs)

[​IMG]

eatbreakfast likes this.
  5. Jahalu

Jahalu Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

eatbreakfast likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted