Determining the right amount of flow?

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I am working to bring my Nano tank back from a tank crash. I have been fighting and slowly winning with the cyano and couldn't help but start to get some corals back into the tank.
I have the Fluval 13.5 Evo and previously I had this tank set up with the stock pump and return nozzles and a jebao powerhead but felt the powerhead was just too much for this tank and struggled with my hammers being blown about no matter where I aimed the powerhead.
Now I have upgraded to a 250GPH return pump and a 1/2 inch RGF, however I am not sure if the flow is going to be right without still adding a powerhead.

I have attached a little video of the hammers, they are day 2 of being in the tank and seem otherwise pretty happy. Not sure though if there is adequate flow for them.
I may try and move them higher in the tank at some stage, but also planning to upgrade my lighting soon and have heard they don't like too high light.

Thanks for your help!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little on the soft side but not to bad. You can use a single small powerhead in that tank. Put it 3 inches under the water so it gives you good surface agitation for gas exchange.

OP
OP
Elise_

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little on the soft side but not to bad. You can use a single small powerhead in that tank. Put it 3 inches under the water so it gives you good surface agitation for gas exchange.
Thanks, I will have to see about getting a less powerful powerhead. The one I had previously in the tank seems to cause too much flow in most of the tank even as low as it can be set and aimed towards the glass.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will have to see about getting a less powerful powerhead. The one I had previously in the tank seems to cause too much flow in most of the tank even as low as it can be set and aimed towards the glass.
Just make sure you have good surface ripple. It's important in a salt tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back