Determining your Triton Core7 Base Elements starting dosage | BRStv How-To

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Today we're showing you how to calculate and start implementing your Triton Core7 Base Elements dosage for your tank!

Just an update from when we shot this video, we started at 13mL/day on the BRS160 but we are now at 45mL/day and which is holding relatively steady at 8.5dKH. We also decided to shoot for 8.0dKH, so I've been lowering the dosage a bit at a time until we reach it. :)

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving Triton so far. I see that you're targeting 7.0 dkh instead of the recommended 8, I'm curious what your reasons might be for that, thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the vid!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving Triton so far. I see that you're targeting 7.0 dkh instead of the recommended 8, I'm curious what your reasons might be for that, thanks!

Hey there! We've decided to target 8.0dKH for the BRS160, however on the Triton site and in their pamphlets they mention " Note: for users of Base Elements CORE7 we recommend a target dKH of 7." while the Base Elements has a recommendation of 8.0dKH.

I brought this up to them to get some clarification. Honestly, anywhere between 7-9dKH should be just fine, with stability being the key component here! I've got us dialed in on the BRS160 to 40mL/day to stay at the 8.0dKH we decided to shoot for! :)

-Randy

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! We've decided to target 8.0dKH for the BRS160, however on the Triton site and in their pamphlets they mention " Note: for users of Base Elements CORE7 we recommend a target dKH of 7." while the Base Elements has a recommendation of 8.0dKH.

I brought this up to them to get some clarification. Honestly, anywhere between 7-9dKH should be just fine, with stability being the key component here! I've got us dialed in on the BRS160 to 40mL/day to stay at the 8.0dKH we decided to shoot for! :)

-Randy
Ahh, yeah that makes sense, thanks! I'm curious if you've noticed a direct connection between the amount you need to dose each day and your PH levels?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your saying to vary the dosage of all 4 of the base elements for a change in the dKh? So, for example, your dKh is at 6.5, but your Ca and Mg are spot on your target, you increase even the Ca and Mg even though they were correct? I'm a little confused

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your saying to vary the dosage of all 4 of the base elements for a change in the dKh? So, for example, your dKh is at 6.5, but your Ca and Mg are spot on your target, you increase even the Ca and Mg even though they were correct? I'm a little confused

There are quite a few scenarios that you can encounter when dialing in your dosage and a few different approaches you can take to make adjustments. I didn't get too specific into each scenario and it's correction as it would have made for quite a long video and is something I will plan to break down in future how-to videos, but for the scenario you mention, you could just mix up some Alkalinity Increaser and dose it to your tank to target a rise in alkalinity.

Here's a few other scenarios that I'll clarify a bit more down the road. :) It is important to note also that most of these are rare but easily fixed and usually only happen during the early stages.

Scenario 1
Alk Low
Ca Low
Mg Low
Solution - Raise all equally

Scenario 2
Alk High
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Lower all equally

Scenario 3
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose

Scenario 4
Alk Low
Ca Ok
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON CO3 liquid buffer/NaHCO DIY Salts to raise Alk then maintain

Scenario 5
Alk Ok
Ca Low
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Calcium liquid buffer/CaCl2 DIY Salts to raise Ca then maintain

Scenario 6
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg Low
Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Magnesium liquid buffer/MgCl2 DIY Salts to raise Mg then maintain

Scenario 7
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg Ok
Solution - Maintain dose on channels 1/3a/3b reduce dose of channel 2 until Calcium level drops to required amount.

Scenario 8
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg High
Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

Scenario 9
Alk Ok
Ca High
Mg High
Solution - Check KH test for accuracy, reduce dose of all solutions, set KH to 7 and retest.

-Randy

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. I am more and more tempted to try the Triton method, just a little nervous about changing from my current Red Sea that I know well.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. I am more and more tempted to try the Triton method, just a little nervous about changing from my current Red Sea that I know well.

No problem! I'm glad we can be the guinea pig for swapping a system over to a new methodology. So far so good from what I test and see on a daily basis. However, our Zoas have been closed up a bit since the change and I did see just a small bit of receding on one of our large Acan colonies, but we've agreed that it is most likely just a symptom of the change over and should come back with no problem. :)

-Randy

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a big change reef wise, so such a small reaction is good to hear. It's one of the things I was worried about, the other being getting the dosage tuned in quickly enough so as not to have a big dKh swing.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a recommended fix for high Alk and low CA? My KH is 8.5 and CA is 390. Noticed the KH drifting up and CA down. Thinking I should up my CA dose and maybe lower the KH dosing. Didn’t check the Mg, since I usually only check that monthly and don’t totally trust the Red Sea Mg test.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a recommended fix for high Alk and low CA? My KH is 8.5 and CA is 390. Noticed the KH drifting up and CA down. Thinking I should up my CA dose and maybe lower the KH dosing. Didn’t check the Mg, since I usually only check that monthly and don’t totally trust the Red Sea Mg test.

You can adjust the dosages for a few days until they stabilize then equalize them again. Otherwise you can use Calcium Chloride (Triton CA increaser or BRS 2-part CaCl) and hand dose it to your intended levels. :)

-Randy

svandive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, a bit of an old topic but I have a question. Should all four parts get dosed at the same time, or spread out. Assuming that 1 and 2 are basically alkalinity and calcium then they should be separated by time when dosed right?

Thanks,

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, a bit of an old topic but I have a question. Should all four parts get dosed at the same time, or spread out. Assuming that 1 and 2 are basically alkalinity and calcium then they should be separated by time when dosed right?
Thanks,

We dose the 3a/3b at night spread across a 12hr period, while 1 and 2 are dose throughout the day across the other 12hrs. :)

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
We dose the 3a/3b at night spread across a 12hr period, while 1 and 2 are dose throughout the day across the other 12hrs. :)
Randy is this a Triton or BRS recommendation?

Currently I have all four parts dosing in three cycles per day.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Randy is this a Triton or BRS recommendation?
Currently I have all four parts dosing in three cycles per day.

This is what we do at BRS, but definitely not the only way to dose them. The 3a and 3b are the Alkalinity portions, which we have dosed in the evening previously using just 2-part, so we figured we would continue that schedule. :)

Punisher Corals

Ask about our First Responder, Military Discounts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to switch from my cal reactor to the triton method. Do you suggest shutting down the reactor for a day or so, or hookup the core7 and then shutting down the reactor. I am using the core7 base elements 5L set. So if my math is correct my system is 300 gallons so I'd start dosing 23ml a day. And does it matter what time a day, does it work better when lights are off or lights on?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back