Determining your Triton Core7 Base Elements starting dosage | BRStv How-To

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by randyBRS, Aug 23, 2017.

1. randyBRS

randyBRS BRStv Apprentice :-P R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hey guys!

Today we're showing you how to calculate and start implementing your Triton Core7 Base Elements dosage for your tank!

Just an update from when we shot this video, we started at 13mL/day on the BRS160 but we are now at 45mL/day and which is holding relatively steady at 8.5dKH. We also decided to shoot for 8.0dKH, so I've been lowering the dosage a bit at a time until we reach it. :)

kresDFW, TimT and Joey Merrell like this.
    Tags:

2. ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot Active Member R2R Supporter

I'm loving Triton so far. I see that you're targeting 7.0 dkh instead of the recommended 8, I'm curious what your reasons might be for that, thanks!

3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks for the vid!

4. randyBRS

Hey there! We've decided to target 8.0dKH for the BRS160, however on the Triton site and in their pamphlets they mention " Note: for users of Base Elements CORE7 we recommend a target dKH of 7." while the Base Elements has a recommendation of 8.0dKH.

I brought this up to them to get some clarification. Honestly, anywhere between 7-9dKH should be just fine, with stability being the key component here! I've got us dialed in on the BRS160 to 40mL/day to stay at the 8.0dKH we decided to shoot for! :)

-Randy

ShinyRobot likes this.
  5. ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot Active Member R2R Supporter

Ahh, yeah that makes sense, thanks! I'm curious if you've noticed a direct connection between the amount you need to dose each day and your PH levels?

6. Joe Batt

Joe Batt Well-Known Member

Your saying to vary the dosage of all 4 of the base elements for a change in the dKh? So, for example, your dKh is at 6.5, but your Ca and Mg are spot on your target, you increase even the Ca and Mg even though they were correct? I'm a little confused

randyBRS likes this.
  7. randyBRS

There are quite a few scenarios that you can encounter when dialing in your dosage and a few different approaches you can take to make adjustments. I didn't get too specific into each scenario and it's correction as it would have made for quite a long video and is something I will plan to break down in future how-to videos, but for the scenario you mention, you could just mix up some Alkalinity Increaser and dose it to your tank to target a rise in alkalinity.

Here's a few other scenarios that I'll clarify a bit more down the road. :) It is important to note also that most of these are rare but easily fixed and usually only happen during the early stages.

Scenario 1
    Alk Low
    Ca Low
    Mg Low
    Solution - Raise all equally

Scenario 2
    Alk High
    Ca High
    Mg High
    Solution - Lower all equally

Scenario 3
    Alk Ok
    Ca Ok
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose

Scenario 4
    Alk Low
    Ca Ok
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON CO3 liquid buffer/NaHCO DIY Salts to raise Alk then maintain

Scenario 5
    Alk Ok
    Ca Low
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Calcium liquid buffer/CaCl2 DIY Salts to raise Ca then maintain

Scenario 6
    Alk Ok
    Ca Ok
    Mg Low
    Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Magnesium liquid buffer/MgCl2 DIY Salts to raise Mg then maintain

Scenario 7
    Alk Ok
    Ca High
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose on channels 1/3a/3b reduce dose of channel 2 until Calcium level drops to required amount.

Scenario 8
    Alk Ok
    Ca Ok
    Mg High
    Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

Scenario 9
    Alk Ok
    Ca High
    Mg High
    Solution - Check KH test for accuracy, reduce dose of all solutions, set KH to 7 and retest.

-Randy

Joe Batt likes this.
  8. Joe Batt

Thanks, Randy. I am more and more tempted to try the Triton method, just a little nervous about changing from my current Red Sea that I know well.

randyBRS likes this.
  9. randyBRS

No problem! I'm glad we can be the guinea pig for swapping a system over to a new methodology. So far so good from what I test and see on a daily basis. However, our Zoas have been closed up a bit since the change and I did see just a small bit of receding on one of our large Acan colonies, but we've agreed that it is most likely just a symptom of the change over and should come back with no problem. :)

-Randy

mginani, Joe Batt and ShinyRobot like this.
  10. Joe Batt

It is a big change reef wise, so such a small reaction is good to hear. It's one of the things I was worried about, the other being getting the dosage tuned in quickly enough so as not to have a big dKh swing.

11. Whipples

Whipples Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Hey @randyBRS what dosage is the BRS 160 at now? thanks!

12. Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Is there a recommended fix for high Alk and low CA? My KH is 8.5 and CA is 390. Noticed the KH drifting up and CA down. Thinking I should up my CA dose and maybe lower the KH dosing. Didn’t check the Mg, since I usually only check that monthly and don’t totally trust the Red Sea Mg test.

13. randyBRS

You can adjust the dosages for a few days until they stabilize then equalize them again. Otherwise you can use Calcium Chloride (Triton CA increaser or BRS 2-part CaCl) and hand dose it to your intended levels. :)

-Randy

Elgringodiablo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted