Do you clean out your detritus?

• Total voters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it to be both good and bad and really depends on your system.
Completely agree with this. In a more mature system, the detritus may help provide balance. It may be what is feeding good bacteria while keeping cyanobacteria in check. And, if you have diverse life in your tank, it will provide a breeding ground for the smallest parts of your CuC. However, if you have a rather sterile tank, or a system that struggles to export nitrates, it could turn the tables and act as fuel for cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates. It could cause nitrate and phosphate issues that can stunt coral growth.

I'd say you should do what you prefer, just don't clean it up all at once. You may cause stability issues.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shamefully the main reason im tempted to clean house is probably because I really want an excuse to buy one of those shop vacs you snap onto a 5 gallon bucket....
You shouldn't need an excuse! They are fairly cheap and work extremely well.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shamefully the main reason im tempted to clean house is probably because I really want an excuse to buy one of those shop vacs you snap onto a 5 gallon bucket....
Do me a solid? When you use your new shop-vac on your reef, take a video. I would think the vac would quickly create a siphon and that 2 inch hose would fill the bucket in a flash :) and I would like to see that!!
Cheers! Mark

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do me a solid? When you use your new shop-vac on your reef, take a video. I would think the vac would quickly create a siphon and that 2 inch hose would fill the bucket in a flash :) and I would like to see that!!
Cheers! Mark
I have only used mine in my sump, so it isn't an issue. But it will fill a 5g bucket very quickly even without a gravity siphon.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of those attachments for a maxi jet pump to siphon my sump, I have piles like that too. The debris bothers me because it gets kicked up and put back into the display. No socks, no skimmer and verrrry little nitrates for me, so maybe I should leave it alone and try to figure out something to keep it from getting to the return pump section. Also, the 5g shop vac is pretty cool but will fill the bucket in no time.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a bit out of hand but it works for me. Light is on 24.7

20200925_175230.jpg 20200925_175247.jpg 20200925_175259.jpg 20200925_175321.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its particularly good for a system but i dont think its extremely bad either. However there are two tanks that advocate removing detritus that are worth mentioning bombers bare bottom sps tank from reefcentral and glenn f from here with his power filter.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one. Tossed it. It stopped sucking water after a couple of inches. When I need one I raid my hubby's shop vac. Might get a smaller one that is dedicated to my tank as his is a pain to empty, but not the bucket one again. Spend a bit more for a smaller shop vac.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back