Devils hand coral not opening

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My devils hand leather has been in the tank for a few weeks now and always has these nubs on it, which I’m assuming are half extended polyps from pictures online. However it never fully extends out the polyps at all, and has been in this “half extended” form for a few weeks now. Should I be concerned or just leave it be?
A99F014B-29B7-409C-AF05-0514F703C1A4.jpeg

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go through periods like that. As long as your water parameters and lighting are good, it should be ok. Check your water flow too. They need moderate flow to clean themselves. If it’s down-flow from that toadstool, it might be irritated by toxins released from that guy. Perhaps run some fresh activated carbon.

OP
OP
D

derpychicken777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go through periods like that. As long as your water parameters and lighting are good, it should be ok. Check your water flow too. They need moderate flow to clean themselves. If it’s down-flow from that toadstool, it might be irritated by toxins released from that guy. Perhaps run some fresh activated carbon.
I run plenty of activated carbon in this tank. It used to be in a spot that was blasting it with flow so I've moved it to a slightly lower flow spot which is upflow from the toadstool, but it looks exactly the same in both spots. Maybe it was slightly more extended when it was being blasted. Still not quite sure what could be making it ticked.

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hard to say. Sometimes it seems like they get moody and close up for a while. I had one that closed for 4 months, then one day it was fully open. Go figure.

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching my leather it looks really good, later shrinks up but comes back no problems. I learned this the hard way, first leather I kept moving it lost it. Now I leave it where it its at and just watch it.

20230201_201458.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back