devils hand

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a devils hand leather today. it looks healthy when I got it. but it hasn't opened up since I put it in my tank. I dripped accumalted it for 2 hours. then before I put it in the tank I rearranged a few frags so the coral would have better flow than putting it in the corner of the tank.
when I got it it looked like the first picture then when I put it in my tank the second picture is what it looks like now. is it just mad that I bought it and has to get used to my tank. I already have a toad stool mushroom leather coral and it's doing fine. I have tested all my parameters. there all fine.

lg_39303_Devils_Hand_Leather_Coral.jpg

ssss.jpg

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine , just leave it . Probably going to wax .(shed)
I might of screwed up. it came on a small little twig. by small I mean like they went out to there yard and picked up a stick from a tree and glued it on there. I cut the twig as much as I could without touching the leather and put it on a small rock. then put it in the place with the flow. I don't have that much flow going to it. the lfs was blasting it. so I hope it will like the lower flow.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might take a couple of days to acclimate to your tank then the polyps will come out, looks good and not drooping down.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers pout especially when they are touched , think you touched them, or you thought about touching them. They may shed, or not but open in a bit or a few days.

Leave them alone and they will come around.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 just give it time. I've had my lobophytum for about a month now and it only has its polyps open 3-4 days a week.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone here. I have a green devil's hand, and have had it for over 2 years......and sometimes it goes days and days without polyp extension. I used to get worried, but now I figure it's just being moody [emoji13] Yours will be fine. Like The Beatles would say......Let It Be [emoji16]

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone here. I have a green devil's hand, and have had it for over 2 years......and sometimes it goes days and days without polyp extension. I used to get worried, but now I figure it's just being moody [emoji13] Yours will be fine. Like The Beatles would say......Let It Be [emoji16]
still hasn't opened up yet. But I don't think it's dropping any. Pic below.

P_20180917_213203.jpg

P_20180917_213158.jpg

P_20180917_213156.jpg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time and moderate flow. It may look Shiny. It'll shed and look all nice. May even be bigger. I know it's hard but try not too mess with it or move it around. The more you mess with it the more pouting they will do.

The more you mess with the more drama they will go through.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time and moderate flow. It may look Shiny. It'll shed and look all nice. May even be bigger. I know it's hard but try not too mess with it or move it around. The more you mess with it the more pouting they will do.

The more you mess with the more drama they will go through.
got home yesterday and it was upside down in the sand. I think my shrimp knocked it over. I did put it back where it was. and will wait now.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do like a decent amount of flow...if its still pouting i would try a little higher or more direct flow.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do like a decent amount of flow...if its still pouting i would try a little higher or more direct flow.
I just rearranged a couple corals. I did this so the devils hand and the toadstool will have more of a direct flow in the tank. I might add a third powerhead just so the other side will have a little more flow. i'm currently running 2 aqueon circulation pump 950. on pointing toward the middle and bottom and the other towards the top of the tank to give the ripple effect.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are a tough coral but they are Sissy La la at times

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it , that's how they work the less you mess with them the better when it a aclimates they'll come out
i'm wondering if my shrimp is messing with it when i'm not here or watching the tank. also what placement should it be at? I have it the lower part of the tank. if it needs to be more towards the top I have a spot that I can move it to. just have to move a frag.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back