DGee's Box O sticks V2

Magem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply Beautiful...very very nice aquascaping and color combination. Congratulations.

In relation to kessils, it was difficult to install them inside ati lighting? I have a 10x39w ati powermodule too and this DIY has gave me some ideas...thanks for sharing!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't worry honey I won't make much of a mess...

That's what I told her anyways lol...

Ever since I went to the larger ATB skimmer last year it's been a total PITA to clean the skimmer since when I originally designed the sump it was for the smaller 8" body cone so the larger 10.5" body was nearly impossible to get out and clean and most of the time I just cleaned the cup inside of the sump. So I was finally irritated enough that I decided to router a cutout into the sump to make the for easy removal of the cup and body for cleaning.

Now it's nice and easy to get the skimmer in and out for cleaning. I highly recommend anyone attempting to do a project like this, make sure your wife or significant other isn't home when you do. The router job and setting up the jig took about 10 min, I spent a good 45 min cleaning with the shop vac to not leave a trace for the wife.

Nice job! HA!

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8'!??????

Upgrade?

Once we get all the new house plans figured out I'll start to build the new tank, 96x36x20 is the plan. It's been in the works for a while now, I've been collecting equipment for the last year or so for this next build, it'll definitely be the final upgrade. Essentially it'll be the exact same system here just twice as big!

Simply Beautiful...very very nice aquascaping and color combination. Congratulations.

In relation to kessils, it was difficult to install them inside ati lighting? I have a 10x39w ati powermodule too and this DIY has gave me some ideas...thanks for sharing!

Modifying the Powermodule is really quite easy and only takes a couple hours. Especially if you're already coming from a 10 bulb you'll have all major parts necessary. Shoot me a PM if you want more info on it.

Tank is truly amazing. Love your simple approach. That router cut on the sump looks all pro.

Thank you, simple it easy... I like easy. I find far too many people in this hobby make things a lot more difficult than they need to be, then when they don't get the success they're looking for they just end up making them even more complicated, adding more equipment and constantly changing thing to chase numbers or someone else's success or methods. One of the biggest things is just taking the time to learn your tank and what works for it. Every tank really should be treated as an individual. Odds are 10-1 that I could teach someone everything I know and replicate the exact same system, feeding methods etc. and have a totally different outcome. Possibly better but more than likely not so much...

The router job was easy... Keep in mind I built the sump and will be building the new 8' tank as well. Then again I've also worked in the composites industry for 18 some odd years so acrylic fab came pretty easy once I learned the basics from one of the best. Having good tools goes a long way as well!

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't help but to poke a little fun at all the celebrity nonsense all over the internet the past 24 hours... But we are leaving the country for 10 days.

The wife and I have been taking about another vacation for our 10 year anniversary and we decided to take a trip to Fiji, so needless to say I'll be coming back looking like a prune from spending just about every waking hour possible in the water. We're staying in a remote part of the SE on an amazing lagoon, so more or less a reefers dream!

AND it get's even better than that... But I'll save that part for a later update =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aleks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'm excited to see what I can come up with once I have 8' to work with!

Currently I'm feeding the corals RedSea Reef Energy A&B 10ml of each, 7ml of Seachem Fuel & 5ml of Oyster Feast once per week. Periodically I'll Dose RedSea Coral Colors B to maintain the Potassium levels as they're slowly depleted.

The Kessils are the older A350w Tuna Blue's

Bulbs front to back:

KZ New Gen
Fauna Marin Ultra Royal Blue
ATI Actinic
KZ Fiji Purple

Kessil's

KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Actinic
KZ Super Blue
KZ New Gen
You can see photos, how to implement the installation Kessil between T5?

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll snap off a picture tomorrow when the lights are back on. It's pretty simple, just some aluminum L shaped extrusion you can pick up at any Home Depot.

usernam invalid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great

IMG_1699.JPG

What's this one i have a wild piece that looks exactly the same.

MRodrigues1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the earlier question and comment on substrate...what sand are you using exactly? Never been a fan of large grain sands and for the needed flow on my upcoming tank I considered bare bottom but not a fan of that either :mad:...you make large grains look reasonable so I am considering it :rolleyes:

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank! Cant wait to hear about this Fiji trip. Sounds like a cool trip for a reef club to go on. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Healthy and colorful!

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent colors, there are some additions to the colors .....

Thanks, the addition of the Kassil's and the wider fixture along with the new bulb combo really has a few of the corals starting to show new colors that they originally didn't have.

Looking great

IMG_1699.JPG

What's this one i have a wild piece that looks exactly the same.

I picked it up as a wild aussie piece, many people seem to think it's one of the orange passion's but this particular one was will collected.

Saw the earlier question and comment on substrate...what sand are you using exactly? Never been a fan of large grain sands and for the needed flow on my upcoming tank I considered bare bottom but not a fan of that either :mad:...you make large grains look reasonable so I am considering it :rolleyes:

The majority is Caribsea Special Reef Grade, I've added a little bit of Natures Ocean slightly larger grain to the mix to keep things from moving. I prefer the look of Special Reef Grade, it looks more natural looking to me.

Love the tank! Cant wait to hear about this Fiji trip. Sounds like a cool trip for a reef club to go on. :)

Thank you, Excited doesn't even begin to cover the excitement for this trip. I've traveled quite a bit in my life but Fiji has always been on my bucket list. One of the most exciting parts is I'll be hand selecting a large variety of corals that'll be getting shipped back to my friends LFS.

Healthy and colorful!

It's definitely starting to come back quickly, it's got a ways to go but everything is settling back in nicely.

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here you can see how the Kessil's sit in the fixture. I added some stainless steel piece into the fixture for some added aesthetics but it's not necessary at all. The brackets are in place with 3M VHB industrial two sided tape.

IMG_5433.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here you can see how the Kessil's sit in the fixture. I added some stainless steel piece into the fixture for some added aesthetics but it's not necessary at all. The brackets are in place with 3M VHB industrial two sided tape.

IMG_5433.JPG

Nice!

Back