DI WATER SMELLS HELP? Please!!

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research DI resins and amines. Other things that cause noticeable odors at extremely low levels are water disinfected with chlorine dioxide when it reacts with new carpets and carpet glues and many forms of blue green algae like Geosmin and MIB, often when lakes or reservoirs turn over with temperature changes, down in the parts per billion they are so pungent.
I noticed some black spots like mold growing on the top of the container today. That might be my problem. I'm going to drain and wash tomorrow. What should I use to clean?

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top of the sides above the shut off level, not on the lid.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower the water level and wipe it down with a rag wetted with a bleach solution of no more than a cap full or maybe two in a gallon of RO/DI water. Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it a couple more times with straight RO/DI to dilute or remove the trace of chlorine. Fresh bleach is a very strong disinfectant, 30,000 to 50,000 parts per million chlorine so more is not better.

Bmnlproductions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I just made a Batch of new rodi water and went to check my top off bucket and the water smells like a foul fishy / like the DI cartridge did when it was new what's up is this ok there shouldn't be an odor should there? There wasn't about a month ago when I replaced all of my filters is my DI cartridge bad all ready????

Fill up a cup of water directly from your ro/di unit and smell the water. If it smells like fish it has nothing to do with the storage container.

Bmnlproductions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill up a cup of water directly from your ro/di unit and smell the water. If it smells like fish it has nothing to do with the storage container.

If its coming from your ro/di and the smell bothers you, your gonna have to wash and replace everthing. Bacteria somehow got into your unit and thrives because there is no chlorine in the water to kill it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back