Diagnose monti problem

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this sunset monti since May and my tank is now 8 months old.

Over the months it started fading but still had good PE and bright green polyps. The fading coincided with my nutrients bottoming out and some other parameter swings. In general, it has been in the tank through various new tank troubles. Dinos, nutrients zeroed out, light changes (mostly from dino treatment), small alk and salinity spikes.

Over the past couple months, however, my parameters have been stable, other corals are doing great and overall the tank is doing really good. This guy, though, is not thriving.

About 5-6 weeks ago I moved it up toward the top of my tank based on some recommendations that it wasn’t getting enough light. Up here where it is in the pic it gets around 180-190 from an XR15 on AB+. Out of the picture to the upper left is a sicce power head.

The lower part of the coral has colored back up but as you can see the top is struggling. The tip with coralline has been that way for quite a while but the poor PE and bleaching is new.

Since parts of the coral are turning red again I feel like it’s not the light. Could the flow from the PH be causing the problems on the top? The redder parts are somewhat shielded since they are on the backside of the flow.

So, do I risk moving it again to a lower flow, lower light spot? Keep light similar but away from PH?

SG: 1.026
Alk: 10
Ca: 450
Mg: 1300
PO4: .05
NO3: 5-10
Potassium: 380

33041E65-05CC-4A98-9B36-5C089CBAA206.jpeg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have grown Sunset Monti in ranges from 100-250PAR and intense flow to medium flow. It shouldn't be looking like this in any of those areas. I haven't grown it in such low Mag or such high Cal though. I never push past 430 for Cal and Mag is around 1400. From the colors that are showing I think the PAR is in a good range. When these Montis get in lower PAR they get really drab coloration and fad quickly in brilliance. What is your pH swings? Have you fed your SPS anything other than AB+?

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have grown Sunset Monti in ranges from 100-250PAR and intense flow to medium flow. It shouldn't be looking like this in any of those areas. I haven't grown it in such low Mag or such high Cal though. I never push past 430 for Cal and Mag is around 1400. From the colors that are showing I think the PAR is in a good range. When these Montis get in lower PAR they get really drab coloration and fad quickly in brilliance. What is your pH swings? Have you fed your SPS anything other than AB+?
By AB+ I meant my spectrum setting on my Radion. But, I do feed AB+ once a week. I also feed the tank Rod’s food a couple times a week.

I don’t regularly check pH and definitely don’t “monitor” it. Lowest I’ve ever seen is 7.8 and highest about 8.2

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back