Diagnosing issue with 6 line wrasse

meuretig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I noticed my 6 line wrasse has discoloration and looks smaller. Has some spots on back fin and looks sickly. There is a small white string hanging beneath it. Also today noticed pajama cardinal has what looks like damaged rear dorsal fin. Low quality pictures attached. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks in advance

7720FE5D-AC90-4B5D-BCD8-D4D4E075FF62.jpeg A303A96C-A6C3-4FB6-B9C8-244018BEBD9B.jpeg 11BA0BF9-606C-47F3-A93B-ACA277C03553.jpeg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

I'm not one of the fish medics but white strings are usually poop that indicates internal parasites. Which may be why it looks smaller if it's not getting proper nutrition. Hopefully one of the medics can hop in and give you better guidance.

The pajama Cardinal missing part of the fin could be from aggression or maybe poor water quality. Have you tested your water at all?

OP
OP
M

meuretig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

I'm not one of the fish medics but white strings are usually poop that indicates internal parasites. Which may be why it looks smaller if it's not getting proper nutrition. Hopefully one of the medics can hop in and give you better guidance.

The pajama Cardinal missing part of the fin could be from aggression or maybe poor water quality. Have you tested your water at all?
I was thinking maybe the cardinal was because of aggression- I have 2 clowns that sometimes chase him around. The 6 line is eating and swimming around. I ordered water testing kit and will be testing ASAP after it arrives. Thanks

OP
OP
M

meuretig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board!

has anything been introduced to the tank recently? inverts/corals?
The only thing I’ve added in months is 3 emerald crabs to help with algae. Everything else is same. Also- cleaner shrimp recently died- maybe a week and a half ago. One day was just lifeless on the sand. Thanks

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Already good info above (esp #2 (so far))

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Fingers crossed everything turns out okay!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Recently I noticed my 6 line wrasse has discoloration and looks smaller. Has some spots on back fin and looks sickly. There is a small white string hanging beneath it. Also today noticed pajama cardinal has what looks like damaged rear dorsal fin. Low quality pictures attached. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks in advance

7720FE5D-AC90-4B5D-BCD8-D4D4E075FF62.jpeg A303A96C-A6C3-4FB6-B9C8-244018BEBD9B.jpeg 11BA0BF9-606C-47F3-A93B-ACA277C03553.jpeg
Looks like mucus in with the poop and often happens with either internal issue or even when you feed both brine shrimp and mysis shrimp in which the poop can mimic internal issues
If you’re feeding those brine acts as a laxative but pull off mysis and try marine cuisine and LRS fish frenzy and you should see color change
You mention a change in color- please post pic under white lighting as it is hard to see with dark blue image

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back