Diamond Back Gobie making huge mess in 20 gallon

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I bought a Diamond back gobie 2 days ago for it to clear the sandbed, but its making a mess and the water is extremely cloudy like you sometimes cannot see the other side. Its in a 20 gallon cube should I take him out because I have always had very clear water and the corals are pretty ticked off to, or should I wait and everything will settle down. I'm in a pickle here, any help from you guys?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they do ;) The detritus kicked up by the goby will probably reduce in time, but you will always have sand raining down. You could give it some time and see if things settle down or return to the LFS. Sand sifting gobies, as their name implies, will constantly sift your sand and this action will allow particles to enter the water column.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start vacuuming your sand every water change to remove the dust. This is why rinsing sand before use is highly recommended.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That sounds like a diamond back to me. They are construction workers in progress.

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they do ;) The detritus kicked up by the goby will probably reduce in time, but you will always have sand raining down. You could give it some time and see if things settle down or return to the LFS. Sand sifting gobies, as their name implies, will constantly sift your sand and this action will allow particles to enter the water column.
Thats the thing it does not pour sand like other gobies it just sifts but makes the water cloudy

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start vacuuming your sand every water change to remove the dust. This is why rinsing sand before use is highly recommended.
Mine was a caribsea live sand thats the reason I did not rinse it because I always rinse the sands when I put them in the tank

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Diamond goby for about 4 months now and from my experience it settles down. He will find his burrow and he will keep making mounds but the cloudiness goes away.
Sometimes he goes on a rampage and stirrs around a bit but mostly he just sifts without making a sandstorm.
Give it time and it will most likely settle.

bmhair03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite Goby. Mine had a great personality and would always swim to greet me.Or just stare me down! Sand bed should calm down over time, as stated.Mine was also a jumper when startled, so tank had to be screened.

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Diamond goby for about 4 months now and from my experience it settles down. He will find his burrow and he will keep making mounds but the cloudiness goes away.
Sometimes he goes on a rampage and stirrs around a bit but mostly he just sifts without making a sandstorm.
Give it time and it will most likely settle.
Already taking it back. My euphyllias suffered really bad had to get rid of him, but still loved this fish, when i get a bigger sysytem definately will have this guy

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back