Diamond Goby help

tbs246

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new diamond goby in my 80G tank. Got him a week ago. Water parameters are good. He just sits in the corner and stares. He builds caves but for the most part just sits there and stares rather than sift. He has a black spot in his chin area. He is around 4 inches long. Could there be something wrong?

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be still acclimating to his new surroundings. Mine also has a black spot on his chin, I think that’s normal coloration.
Is he taking food OTHER than what he gets from the sand bed? It’s important to keep him eating. You can dose Tisbe Pods, they are sand dwellers, for a food source for him. Mine has been in my tank for a little over a month. In the beginning, he only ate what he could sift from the sand bed. Now he comes out at every feeding and takes whatever I feed my two clowns.
I also think that “sitting and staring” behavior is kind of normal for them but may be wrong. Mine does it all the time.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed some Mysis Shrimp or Brine Shrimp with powerheads and return pump off (minimal to no flow). Stand back several feet away from the tank and see if he actively goes after the shrimp as it falls near the bottom. If he does, he's fine.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black spot on chin seems normal. Mine has one too. Agree that he’s just taking time to get used to his new home. Mine sifts off and on. Eats food I feed the other fish too. I bet he’s fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pictures are always helpful in assessing what one is describing.

OP
OP
tbs246

tbs246

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the goby eventually jumped out of the tank and died. Something must have spooked him in the night. I’m going to invest in a screen cover for the tank to prevent this from happening again.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry to hear that. Definitely need a cover. I hear somebody hitting my lid almost every day. Probably would have no fish left without one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are notorious jumpers and that refers to most gobies

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear about the loss of your Diamondback. In this short period of weeks, I fell in love with mine.

Mine too comes out during feeding time. She'll eat any flakes that fall to the bottom.

I spotted her again, for the 2nd time, scaling up the, somewhat, flat face rock work. Having a 55 gallon high, she was 60% up the water column. I was of the belief they never came off the bottom, but mine honestly does. I hope to grab a pic or video of him rock climbing.

Back