Diamond Goby (Sand Sifter) and Clams!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Yuki Rihwa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Yuki Rihwa

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 16, 2017
Messages
751
Reaction score
847
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has problem with the goby putting/sifting sand over the clams?
I used to have a diamond goby and its pretty much an insane sand sifter and put sand over everything in my tank, sand was in rock that 6 inches above the sand bed, sand went into filter intake...etc and 1 day it's just decided to do the floor surfing and I didn't get a replacement. Now, I have some clams in my sand bed and I kinda want something sifting my sand to keep it clean but the previous works of the old diamond goby scare me LOL.
 
If your trying to keep corals I wouldn't put that goby in your tank. They never stop moving and sifting sand. Sorry
 
Look into some snails, cerith and/or nassarius or maybe a fighting conch. Much less aggressive (read: annoying) sand sifters.
 
Ceriths, nassarius, and conch snails do a pretty good job. If your sand bed has a lot of detritus in it I would recommend a sandsifting starfish. Watchman gobies and jawfish will also sift sand but mostly around their burrows and mine have never really made all that big of a mess. I will say that jawfish will grab shells and small rocks, including frag plugs, and try to use them to reinforce the side of their burrows so they might not be the right fish for the job if you have any frag plugs in your sand bed.
 
Yea jawfish only make a mess once making their burrow unless it's unhappy or feels threatened then it will dig more then one burrow trying to find a safe spot they need at least a 3 inch sandbed as well. Amazing fish tho, beautiful and fun to watch
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new