Diamond Goby suddenly dying!

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my parameters are fine, and he starting trying to jump out of my tank several times and went straight to the top of the water. He immiediately lost the ability to keep his balance and he began drifting in the tank. I put him in a cup and dosed prime and he seems to have regained balance, please help! This all happened in minutes!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have hurt himself, they are known jumpers and can hit things hard. Prime isn't going to do anything besides control ammonia. Do you have a pic of him?

OP
OP
ToadstoolCoral155

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have hurt himself, they are known jumpers and can hit things hard. Prime isn't going to do anything besides control ammonia. Do you have a pic of him?
There's no sign of any blunt force trama, and whenever I put him back in the tank he keeps hopping out of the water nonstop.

I've put him in the tank filter on a flat soft surface when he cannot be harmed.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, about a week since I added him.
I remember hearing two loud thumps, is it common at all for fish to kill themselves via blunt force trauma?
A goby is definitely prone to it, they will especially try to jump when they're in a new environment. I've lost a few from jumping

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry about that, if you decide to try another one the best thing to do is provide them with the lowest stress environment that you can, turn off the light and make sure he has a few hiding places to choose from that he can call his own. They can be very spastic

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help but feel that it’s constant attempts to get out of the water indicate your water might be lacking oxygen and he was struggling to breathe.

Do you have other fish in the tank? If so, how are they doing?

OP
OP
ToadstoolCoral155

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help but feel that it’s constant attempts to get out of the water indicate your water might be lacking oxygen and he was struggling to breathe.

Do you have other fish in the tank? If so, how are they doing?
I don't have fish, but I have plenty of coral. Though, I don't think lack of oxygen is the reason. Everything else is doing perfectly fine including sensitive coral/sponge.

Lack of oxygen still wouldn't explain why all of this went down in minutes, not over hours like oxygen might.

Pjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is strictly a guess. It could be a possible Toxin from a coral turf war, you said no other fish but plenty of coral I looked at some of your other posts and saw you have a 14 gallon tank a lot can happen in a short time in one that small.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back