Diamond goby threat display?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish in my Evo is this goby -- now that my orchid dottyback has disappeared (possibly into the goby). Whenever I come near the tank, the goby comes out of its burrow and settles into the front of the tank to watch me. It then opens its mouth, slowly, and flares it a few times. Is this a threat display? A greeting? I haven't seen this with another fish before.

Last edited:

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish in my Evo is this goby now that my orchid dottyback has disappeared (possibly into the goby). Whenever I come near the tank, the goby comes out of its burrow and settles into the front of the tank to watch me. It then opens its mouth, slowly, and flares it a few times. Is this a threat display? A greeting? I haven't seen this with another fish before.
To me I believe it’s a threat, my Diamond does that to my coral beauty during feeding time. Then my beauty backs it’s rear towards him all while fanning it’s tail at the goby lol

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 of my gobies do that, and we have stare downs. They usually slide sideways after a bit like they are tired of me and could care less I am there. I like them a lot.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back