Diamond goby

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has done such a great job cleaning algae out of my sand, off the rocks, and even off the tank glass. I'm glad he readily took to mysis from a feeding tube. Only had him for two weeks and he has earned his mysis.
Screenshot_20171201-200427.png
Screenshot_20171201-200404.png
Screenshot_20171201-200348.png

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks to be a happy and well-cared-for fellow!

I'm kind of back-and-forth on those guys. I want a clean, pretty sandbed, but I also want it populated with little worms and interesting things ... and I want my corals not to get covered, too. (>__<)

I do like these guys though.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm kind of back-and-forth on those guys. I want a clean, pretty sandbed, but I also want it populated with little worms and interesting things ... and I want my corals not to get covered, too. (>__<)

~Bruce
It’s interesting, when family and friends come over it’s not the Achilles tangs, flame angel, regal angel, powder blue tang, potters angel, male leopard wrasse, or any of that stuff they comment on. It’s the diamond goby and urchins. I don’t get it. “Hey what’s this white Fish doing with your sand? That’s pretty cool!”

OP
OP
Legal Reefer

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
I do have to keep digging out a couple of the corals...lol

OP
OP
Legal Reefer

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a favia and some star polyps close to the bottom where he tunnels. I moved the sand around a little so it wouldn't block his tunnels and now only have to use a turkey baster to blow some sand off the favia. I could see where it could cause a problem if you have a lot of things in the sand bed or very low on the rocks. I don't mind blowing the sand away myself because I don't have much being covered, and if I'm clearing the sand off anything I hit the other rockwork real quick which keeps everything cleaner. I find it easier to just blow the sand away after the goby piles it up rather than trying to vacuum. I would never be able to get it as clean and white as the goby does. There may be some tank cleaners that will work better for other people because of the piling up of sand, but the goby has worked out for me. I enjoy watching him too....lol.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

I know it doesn’t make sense, but my experience is that they somehow don’t decimate the life in the sand. I’ve had multiple pairs of these over the years and they completely turn over all the sand keeping it sparkling white. However, I still see the stringy arms of spaghetti worms stretching over the top of the sand bed, and if you look at the underside of the tank from under the stand, there’s plenty of other worms and creepy crawlies in there.

I don’t keep any corals on the sand bed... definitely gonna cover those.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect spaghetti worms taste awful. They used to float freely throughout my tank, and I'd never see a fish take a nibble ...

~Bruce, whose spaghetti worms have all vanished for some reason - and who misses them.

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better get a tight and I mean TIGHT lid for the tank when you first get one. I got one and put some small plastic eggcrate cut to fit over the tank on mine. He managed to jump out through one of the small butt holes. So I went and got some acrylic. Cut it to fit as well and the second one I got to replace the first jumped out. This either happened when doing a feeding or water change I just didn't notice, or he jumped out through an even smaller hole.

Either way I am reluctant to get another, but they are really cool fish. Just be prepared for a massive sandstorm the first few days until he calms down or jumps out.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect spaghetti worms taste awful. They used to float freely throughout my tank, and I'd never see a fish take a nibble ...

~Bruce, whose spaghetti worms have all vanished for some reason - and who misses them.
Spaghetti worms taste like chicken.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back