Diana hogfish bloated

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I broke down the tank he was living in as I am upgrading my fish only which I will post more about later on. Unfortunately where the new tank is going and where the “old” tank was I could not keep the one up and running. Moved the fish into my QT set up for the mean time.
All fish have been in the system for 5 days now and noticed last night that the hogfish didn’t eat much, was eating fine the day before. Also noticed the day before he was loving the nori and ate a lot of it. Then tonight he is bloated right around his anus. The fish is having no issues swimming and controlling buoyancy, just not eating well and now quite bloated.
I have had the fish now for around 2 months and has been doing great.
Any idea?

water temp - 77
Nitrate - 9.9
Ammonia- 0
Phos- .09

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Over the weekend I broke down the tank he was living in as I am upgrading my fish only which I will post more about later on. Unfortunately where the new tank is going and where the “old” tank was I could not keep the one up and running. Moved the fish into my QT set up for the mean time.
All fish have been in the system for 5 days now and noticed last night that the hogfish didn’t eat much, was eating fine the day before. Also noticed the day before he was loving the nori and ate a lot of it. Then tonight he is bloated right around his anus. The fish is having no issues swimming and controlling buoyancy, just not eating well and now quite bloated.
I have had the fish now for around 2 months and has been doing great.
Any idea?

water temp - 77
Nitrate - 9.9
Ammonia- 0
Phos- .09

image.jpg
Appears to be constipation. Have you been feeding this fish a lot of pellet foods?
did this fish at one time have flukes?

this may be what is referred to as edema where the fish has a hard time maintaining its bodily fluids with the current tank water related to kidney or liver failure.
If you see rapid breathing , it may involve the fish's entire body. often feeding brine shrimp IF eating may help any stuck foods pass as prolapse may be developing.
Constipation
Egg binding (females unable to lay their eggs)
Over eating (my personal issue)
Ascites - fluid in the abdomen due to liver/kidney failure
Edema - fluid build up in the all of the fish's tissues (unlikely in this case as the rest of the fish isn't bloated)

Second opinion. . . @Jay Hemdal

Last edited:
OP
OP
swervinscoot

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hard breathing or any signs of stress other than during the move. I feed that tank clams, mysis, brine, pellets and nori. This is mixed through out the week and he would eat all of it. Also has never had flukes since I’ve had him, I always fresh dip and QT new fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be an intestinal blockage, perhaps from gorging on nori. In the picture, it seems to have a bunch of tiny bubbles trapped in mucus around its vent, any idea what that is from?

Jay

OP
OP
swervinscoot

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be an intestinal blockage, perhaps from gorging on nori. In the picture, it seems to have a bunch of tiny bubbles trapped in mucus around its vent, any idea what that is from?

Jay
The problem came up right after the nori so that makes sense. His scales are doing the “pinecone” and allowing bubbles to get trapped. I do aerate the qt.

Still swimming fine this morning and no heavy breathing.

OP
OP
swervinscoot

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve mixed kanaplex and focus with a little entice as he is not eating. Any one have any luck with a possible force feed? I know if this isn’t a parasite or constipation I could make it worse but I have to do something for him!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve mixed kanaplex and focus with a little entice as he is not eating. Any one have any luck with a possible force feed? I know if this isn’t a parasite or constipation I could make it worse but I have to do something for him!
Here is my article on tube feeding fish. However, if this is a blockage, tube feeding will only worsen the condition by adding more food.

Jay

OP
OP
swervinscoot

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my article on tube feeding fish. However, if this is a blockage, tube feeding will only worsen the condition by adding more food.

Jay
Thank you and nothing I can really do if it is a blockage?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and nothing I can really do if it is a blockage?

Some people have found that moving the fish helps - I suspect that the fish thrashing around when being caught helps move things along. Epsom salts helps, but for marine fish, it needs to be added to the food at 3% by weight, and if the fish isn't eating, then you can't do that.

Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back