Diaseris care?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diaseris that was doing great for a while, but is now fading away. I'd say it's in moderate lighting with low flow, and I feed it about twice a week. Now that I'm doing a bit more research into anecdotal care requirements, and some are saying they like higher light. Anybody have any experience with putting them in higher light? I'd hate to make it any more unhappy by giving it more light that it likes, but now I'm not too sure.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7EDD6B5-047B-4EDF-9849-BBD3FC736960.jpeg

All the white is skeleton :(

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, just saw this post. Is something attacking it? Did yours move around at all? I read they can move themselves

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just saw this post. Is something attacking it? Did yours move around at all? I read they can move themselves
Not sure what happened, it just seemed to fade away. It came attached to a frag plug, and I thought popping it off would do more harm than good. I was also nervous since it was so small that it could've easily gotten lost in the sandbed. As far as I know, nothing was attacking it. It seemed to go as if it was starving off, even though I fed it about once a week with reef roids.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what happened, it just seemed to fade away. It came attached to a frag plug, and I thought popping it off would do more harm than good. I was also nervous since it was so small that it could've easily gotten lost in the sandbed. As far as I know, nothing was attacking it. It seemed to go as if it was starving off, even though I fed it about once a week with reef roids.
Ok thanks. I have a Diaseris for the first time so looking out for similar symptoms. Thanks!

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I have a Diaseris for the first time so looking out for similar symptoms. Thanks!
I had mine at medium light, low flow, and it did great for a while. It definitely loved the feedings, but needed some type of particulate like reef roids. It could’ve been something I wasn’t testing for that killed it so be sure to test your water for everything

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I cracked the case, which possibly could be why plate corals in general don't do great while glued down to frag plugs. The answer is algae- that diaseris plate had a tuft of GHA right next to the coral. I realized this because I had an issue with my orange diaseris that i was keeping- it was doing great for a while, then suddenly one day it's all deflated and sad. This time, however, I noticed the hair algae that was brushed up against the plate, so I took a toothbrush to the area around the plate on the frag plug and got off everything I could, and the next day, as if it was magic, it was open and happy as ever.

Something about plate corals in particular I think makes them extremely sensitive to algae growth around them- they usually have no exposed skeleton, so there wouldn't be any place for algae to grow even if it wanted to. However, once there is skeleton exposed (or a frag plug- pretty much any surface where algae can grow), the coral fades away as algae blooms on it. People usually say that when a plate coral on a frag plug randomly does poorly, it's because they suddenly want to move. I conject that it has to do with algae growth, not the sudden desire for a coral to move around, since both of my corals were happy as could be in the place they were before they started fading away.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back