Diaseris plate I’d?

Bigdaddy05

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 19, 2020
Messages
578
Reaction score
502
Location
near Buffalo,ny
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently won an auction for a diaseris plate coral and curious if anyone can confirm it is a diaseris?
IMG_0150.png
 
Recently won an auction for a diaseris plate coral and curious if anyone can confirm it is a diaseris?
IMG_0150.png
I’d say it is, and it’s a gorgeous coral too!

I need to get into plates but I need them to be alright in 300PAR…
 
I’d say it is, and it’s a gorgeous coral too!

I need to get into plates but I need them to be alright in 300PAR…
The last diaseris plate I had looked different and didn’t have such a defined mouth
 
Your coral is actually a Heliofungia fralinae:
1687564663000.png

Your coral has thick, clubbed tentacles with purple acrospheres, which is a defining characteristic of this species when infated.

True Diaseris are blob-like plates like this:
1687564076753.png

1687564224716.png

Also, Diaseris not a valid genus as it was synonymized with Cycloseris.

I wouldn't trust vendor IDs ( even reputable vendors), especially with LPS corals, as they are prone to not using up-to-date taxonomy or misidentifying corals, like in this case.
 
Your coral is actually a Heliofungia fralinae:
1687564663000.png

Your coral has thick, clubbed tentacles with purple acrospheres, which is a defining characteristic of this species when infated.

True Diaseris are blob-like plates like this:
1687564076753.png

1687564224716.png

Also, Diaseris not a valid genus as it was synonymized with Cycloseris.

I wouldn't trust vendor IDs ( even reputable vendors), especially with LPS corals, as they are prone to not using up-to-date taxonomy or misidentifying corals, like in this case.
The vendor sent pics showing and saying that he crave the plates I bought all the time and says they are more definitely diaseris I’m definitely no expert
 
The vendor sent pics showing and saying that he crave the plates I bought all the time and says they are more definitely diaseris I’m definitely no expert
Like I said, vendors misidentify corals all the time so I wouldn't trust their IDs. Just because your vendor cut the plates doesn't mean that it is Diaseris. Many solitary plates corals can be cut and heal properly. Diaseris will self-fragentate without the need of someone cutting them, and do not have a regular circular shape, but instead a blobby shape like the photos shown. Also, remember that Diaseris is a synonym of Cycloseris, which means that all Diaseris are actually Cycloseris species.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new