Diatom Bloom in a 2 1/2 year old tank

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established (or so i think) 300g tank, including sump, that is up and running now for two and a half years. I have read many threads and watch my share of youtube videos of the do's and don't of setting up a new tank. The tank went through the ugly stage including diatom bloom after which it was good to go. My intention was to have a mixed reef tank and went with the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro LED at the time. I test my water weekly and all results are within the appropriate ranges. A year in I began to add corals starting with a few softies and LPS and the growth process for the LPS was very, very slow. I was also ready for some SPS. My tank numbers were in the right place. Knowing I also wanted to add SPS, I figure new lights had to be in the picture.

Now fast forward to 3 months ago, I invested in some Radion XR30 G5 Pro. After installation, I set it to the acclimation mode which is supposedly the mode for the new lights. What I least expected was a diatom bloom and that is what is going on now in the tank since the new lights installation. I should also mentioned that I am using a RODI system and my TDS is 0.

I am wondering if this is a unusual occurance or has someone experienced this before? I have not read or cannot find anywhere that say this could happen. I am allowing it to run its course which it seems to be slowly getting better. Can someone help me to understand if new lights can actually cause this to happen or is my case an anomaly.

1604030080953.png

1604030972222.png

Mense

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Xr30 s are powerful lights whereas if at full spectrum can cause all sorts of problems.

What lighting schedule did you follow?
Did you change up and automatic feeds?
What height did you mount the new lights at?
Did you add more coral around the same time you added lights.

I ask these questions due to that depending, could be possible factors.

OP
OP
Rudefish

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank measurements are 72x30x30. 3 lights are mounted separated equally across.

I am following the AB+ Spectrum.
I have not changed anything as yet that is different from the factory setting and used acclimation mode when first installed which ran for about 30 or so days.
They are mounted 9" above the tank.
I added some SPS about a month or so after the acclimation process of the new lights.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You throttled up, but don’t have the nutrients to support.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Might need to do a deep clean. Sometimes the Sand just becomes a nitrate factory.

OP
OP
Rudefish

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to do a deep clean. Sometimes the Sand just becomes a nitrate factory.
That could be a possibility. However, my nitrate is reading <5 using the API nitrate test kit. I have not cleaned the tank sand since setup even though change 10g of water each week. The depth and location makes it a little challenging but not impossible. From what I have read, I will need to start slow so I will probable do 1/3 of the tank each week. It cannot hurt even it that is the not cause.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the same thing. tank not as old but i cycled for 4 months no lights and then 4 months with just 4 t5 for 5 hrs a day. Everything looked good, little (barely noticeable) bloom early on but good coroline algea growth. Turned on the G5 pros on the AB+ set to acclimate and huge bloom. The lights are very strong but the bloom is easing up and coral and fish never looked better.

OP
OP
Rudefish

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good to hear that my situation is not an isolated incident not that I am wishing this to happen to anyone else. The bloom pretty much happened suddenly and the only attribute I could contribute it to was the adding of the lights. I have never seen or read that this could happen but only for new tanks cycling. The SPS' are looking healthy and growing and the others that was in before the change of lights have adjusted and now the growth are taking off. I will take @face suggestion and start cleaning the sand bed slowly.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the lights but what are your phosphate level at?

Ive never cleaned the sand beds in either of my tanks, it’s all part of the biological filtration in the system

OP
OP
Rudefish

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the past month, phosphate has ranged between 0 - .07. There was .15 in there at one check but then it dropped the next week. I am using the Hanna Checker Phosphate ppm.

OP
OP
Rudefish

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can contribute my bloom to the light as that is the only change that took place with my tank. Since then nothing else has changed including all the testing results. Now the diatoms have practically disappear. It took a while but I can now say the tank has turned the corner and is not being overrun by diatoms. I test for phosphate everyweek and it does not always read 0.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back