Diatom Filter Question

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
Just wondering, I have a few old Magnum 350 Canister filters hanging around. For those of you that don't know these filters have a cartridge that can be used in conjunction with Diatom powder.
Has anyone tried using a Diatom filter in place of Activated Carbon to "scrub" the water clear?
Any side-effects, or issues doing this?
Thanks & take care all.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

First are you talking the canister or their polishing filter. As far as I know it does not work with the canister. It will only clog. It needs to be the polishing canister

There are no side effects of using the magnum. It is not going to be something you can leave in continuous service. They are meant to clean the water. They are very effective

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mastiffsrule,
Yup the polishing filter in correlation with the Diatom powder. Just wondering about HHLE in Tangs and the relationship with Carbon.
I know Carbon powder with cheaper Carbon may be the cause of HHLE in Tangs, maybe a fallacy but.
Anyone clearing their display tank water using a Diatom filter like the Magnum in place of Carbon?

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, the Magnum using the polishing filter with Diatom powder will clog up in a few hours. That was my experience with a freshwater tank, the Diatom powder would clog in a few hours.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a diatom filter in the late 80's.
Very effective at polishing the water.
I used it when stirring up the sand bed and only ran it for an hour as that is all that was needed.
I dont think I would use one on my current reef tank as it removes to the sub micron level if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya,
That's about the last time like 25 years ago I used my Magnum filter with the polishing cartridge, with Diatom Powder too in a freshwater tank. It would clog fast like in an hour as you suggest. Looking for thoughts on a reef system.
Probably not many here with an old Magnum filter hanging around :)

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 5 stage sun sun pre soak first three baskets with diatom powder 30.00 for 25 lbs
And step down from course too fine poly depending on size of tank I would run it one week for my 120 gallon. Also I have the sun sun filter suction and return lines inside my tank over flow with valves turned off until water is clear before starting the system return and drain to prevent clouding the tank and dusting everything in it. This way will clean the water down to one micron , rip ick, and larger spores of what ever is in the water column No change in water parameters. Good luck. This is what works for me. :)

OP
OP
chiefifd

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help, I just might resurrect one of my old Magnum filters, get some Diatom Powder, and give it a try.
Thinking about it the diatom powder would filter out some of the free-floating spores or ick if present.
:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back