Diatoms and Coral

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. My tank is having a diatom bloom right now and somehow my hammer coral is shrunk up. My GSP frag seems to be fine.

Can the Diatoms be the cause of the Hammer Coral shrinking? Or is it something else that I should check for?

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the diatoms are growing on the torch it wouldn’t be its fault. The occurrence of diatoms is perfectly normal and healthy, but if there not on the torch and it’s shrinking I would get your water tested. It’s possible your phosphate or nitrates are to high because of all the algae growing.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the diatoms are growing on the torch it wouldn’t be its fault. The occurrence of diatoms is perfectly normal and healthy, but if there not on the torch and it’s shrinking I would get your water tested. It’s possible your phosphate or nitrates are to high because of all the algae growing.
I dont have a Nitrate and Phosphate tester right now. Water changes should do the job right? How often and how much per change will do?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, get your water tested at your local fish shop. Your parameters will definitely help you understand what could be wrong with your hammer. - kali
Im not sure if my LFS offers testing waters. But Ill try and ask. What should I test for mainly?

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like kallie said I would get it tested I know some of the large chain store like pet smart do it for free. Lfs might me willing to if you ask

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a Nitrate and Phosphate tester right now. Water changes should do the job right? How often and how much per change will

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back